Fur hammock mat

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
i use a reindeer skin winter meets in my hennessy, same issue here on the diagonal. considering using one of those double fleecy bed underblankets just as a wraparound over my bag, no cold spots on the thighs, shoulders hopefully.
Keep us posted how that works out please :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Couldnt you make some anchor point for the skin, on the sides of your hammock, on which you could attach the skin with some of these:
http://www.urbanfinds.com/kamsnaps/images/metal-utilityspring.jpg or something like that? It would require a minimal mod to your hammock and as the snaps are on the outside they wont bother you if there were no skin, especially seeing they are all the way on the top edges of your hammock,
let me know what you think about that

Yours sincerely Ruud

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I have always wondered why hammocks don't have a special integral compartment under the bit where you lay so you can stuff what ever you like as an underquilt .
I am not talking about the two layer system where you can slide your sleeping pad in like some hammocks have but more like a compartment that hangs about an inch or two under the main hammock(but is still attached and part of the hammock) so that what ever you put in there does not get compressed up and insulates instead . It would just need a 2 inch wide but very long strip of cloth sewn round the underside of the hammock and another layer sewn on to that
Old fur coats ,wool blankets or an old sleeping bag would just be a mater of sliding in then. Job done :)

does that make sence ? would it work?

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You'd have trouble keeping them from bunching in the middle but it's not an insurmountable problem. I think you'd still have compression problems at the sides, although perhaps that's not such a critical area

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I have always wondered why hammocks don't have a special integral compartment under the bit where you lay so you can stuff what ever you like as an underquilt .
I am not talking about the two layer system where you can slide your sleeping pad in like some hammocks have but more like a compartment that hangs about an inch or two under the main hammock(but is still attached and part of the hammock) so that what ever you put in there does not get compressed up and insulates instead . It would just need a 2 inch wide but very long strip of cloth sewn round the underside of the hammock and another layer sewn on to that
Old fur coats ,wool blankets or an old sleeping bag would just be a mater of sliding in then. Job done :)

does that make sence ? would it work?

There are dedicated insulated hammocks made in the US but none as I'm aware like you describe. Exped make a hammock thats got a large pocket to take their airmats but its not up to scratch IMO and others.

It does make good sense and its crossed my mind a few times. It could be stuffed with clothes, dry leaves, bags, pelts etc. A friend uses his kit strung underneath in a second hammock to do just the same.

Perfect for reindeer pelts as it would avoid the hair shedding ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE