Fungus question/ 1st night in hammock

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Hey all,

I was led down the path of purchasing a hammock/net/tarp set up as i read one of the threads on this site.

thought i'd show you guys what i got up to on Thurdsay night as there was a nice woodland near buy with plenty of decaying old trees standing and falling.

first off it was getting a bit late when the camp was being set up and the mossie's were out in force so out came the fire kit and the fire was lit (the base of the Ghillie kettle was used to contain the fire) after the hammock was set i settled down just enjoying being out
DSC01688.jpg

after that, I retired back to the saftey of the hammock with it's mossie net....I felt safe comfy and swang free enjoying the view of tree silhouettes against the horizon.
DSC01690.jpg

In the morning a shot was taken showing the hammock set up
DSC01691.jpg

after wich the kettle and bacon went on
DSC01692.jpg

then the kettle came off and the bacon was tended to by the hawthorn spork/spatuknife
DSC01693.jpg

Bacon roll and spill proof cuppa tea in hand I strolled along towards the woods...it was a lovely Friday morning although the grasses and other plant life was neaarly head high:p
DSC01695.jpg

when i got to the woods it was a lovely suprise...the pathway went through the wood and a bridge/walk way had been put across a pond which was a nice touch from the council (or who ever looks after the path around here)
the wood itself was neglected (either on purpose or otherwise) as so many trees have fallen through decayed routes (IMO) and just lay there rotting.
I did come across these Fungi though both were on the same trunk, although on differeing sides
I belive it was a birch tree.
Any Idea what they are?

DSC01698.jpg

DSC01699.jpg

hope you enjoy my attempt at getting out and about.

Jim

P.S. the hammock was really good at keeping the mossies at bay although whilst walking in the woods....i was taken to pieces...need to carry insect repellant me thinks:eek:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Fungi look like (in order of pictures) Many-Zoned Polypore and Birch Polypore.

That looks like a lovely spot for a camp, and a really good night. I'm admiring your sporkatunife too!

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Thanks for the help with the fungii. (I'll have to look up the first one 'Many-Zoned whats er name' as i've no idea wha it is.
Although it is nice to know that birch polypore is close by as i may harvest a couple in a few months after they grow soom more...you can see they are just pushing out of the bark on the tree.

Also the wood is starting to decay and will be nicley spalted soon ;)
but when you use spalted woods are they softer than 'prime' wood
the birch is a lot softer than the ash/hawthorn/oak i generally play with.

Nice one, is that the Exped?
...yes...I believe it may be your fault...:lmao:

I really hope to swing :hammock:it a few more times this year as It was fun and the set up was 'hot' (bag was left unzipped) so the temp could drop at least to 5 degrees before i need to worry:hatscarf:.

thanks again for the feed back.
jim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE