Fungi ID please

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi all
Please can you help with this, it was found on a dead snapped limb, on the floor of a beech wood today. Lolling up at the tree there is still some on it, and the branch I found it on has two tennis ball size ones left on it.
Is it the stuff called huff fungus?
5c0d51a4-272a-3188.jpg

5c0d51a4-2766-e5aa.jpg

5c0d51a4-2781-e0c0.jpg

5c0d51a4-2797-191d.jpg

5c0d51a4-27bb-9d13.jpg

This is the tree it came off
Cheers all
Bill

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
The limb looks like fallen ash, and is the common habitat of Cramp Balls, Daldinia concentrica.

One of the most commonly used natural tinders, takes a spark form flint and steel (or ferro rods) and burns fairly slowly... Excellent as an ember extender for bowdrill, or transporting an ember from one area to another.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
diocentrica :D

Lucky man, hope you mind where you found those, because chances are there'll be more in time :D

Basically just dry it out a bit. Often it'll take a spark straight off the tree, but it's better dried out I find. Slice it up, or break it apart and just use a piece of it at a time :D

cheers,
Toddy

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Thanks all for your replies, for all of you who have replied up to now and would like a piece free of charge, send me your address in a pm and I will cut one up and share it out, not sure how much there would be but it's quite a big pieces growing, if you want any,
Cheers again
Bill

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
"Cramp Ball" is a curious name. "King Alfred's Cake" was the commonly-used English name in most parts; "Cramp Ball" came from the Kent/Sussex borders, where the locals believed that carrying one around prevented you from getting cramp! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE