functional and convenient survival kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have just been putting together the latest incarnation of a functional and useful survival kit (as you do).

It may be on the large side, but then it is intended to be used. It all goes into one of those Webtex utility pouches. (I can hear someone grumbling already that it sounds a bit too "tactical") Never mind, it is just the right size to contain an Ikea Hobo Stove, into which everything else mostly fits.

It's like Russian Dolls, as the Hobo Stove is contained inside a mesh stuff sack, which is handy for carrying all manner of other stuff should you need to, and sits on top of a vacuum packed emergency plastic sleeping bag.

Inside the Hobo Stove goes the inner pot from a nesting cookset, and inside that goes a foil pouch to contain the contents when the pot is in use.

The remaining contents include a Trangia stove with a potstand adapted from the Swiss army not kocher - you could use a not kocher itself, but of course they are not easily refillable. On top of and around that goes everything else, which includes the usual contents of a "Llofty wiseman" style survival tin (whether they be useful or no?) with a Spyderco bug as the knife, and a Light my Fire steel and striker. There is also room in there for some ally foil, for use as a windbreak for the stove, and a Mylar survival blanket, a Bic lighter (why not?) matches (well you never know?) and a tea light. There is still room in the Webtex pouch for more, and that includes my standard EDC FAK (oh those acronyms, aren't they annoying?) in a tobacco tin. A poundland KFS (Wot no Spork?!), and there is still room for a bushcraft style knife, and sharpening stone.

I think that covers most eventualities, as you have the convenience of a Trangia stove and Bic lighter, but still have the utility of find your own fuel stove to light with a fire steel, when the meths and gas run out. It has the basic resources to keep you warm and dry and also carries some of the things you would normally be carrying anyway, all conveniently together in something you can attach to your belt, hang over your shoulder, or attach to your rucksack.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
in my opinion if its to be branded as survival kit i would ditch the trangia as once the fuel is gone it would be dead weight as youve hinted towards, if its just a bimble kit then no worries it adds versatility. i have a response pack full of goodies with a crusader kit on the belt as my survival kit that ill never probably use :-D with 2 metal mugs if i was surviving id just use the mugs on a fire.

Last edited:

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
in my opinion if its to be branded as survival kit i would ditch the trangia as once the fuel is gone it would be dead weight as youve hinted towards, if its just a bimble kit then no worries it adds versatility. i have a response pack full of goodies with a crusader kit on the belt as my survival kit that ill never probably use :-D with 2 metal mugs if i was surviving id just use the mugs on a fire.

I'd ditch the trangia after I've ran out of fuel for it.... until then its pretty handy :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE