Fun with Bindrunes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
There's a lot of people here who like runes and runic symbols. I'm one of them, but purely for the artistic opportunities they lend within design elements.

I've been looking at bindrunes lately, that is the combining (or binding) of runic letters to make a unique symbol or logo. I've done one for myself using the runic letters E, J and M, the letters of my name.

Here's the runic letters EJM

EJM-bindrune1.jpg

To make a bindrune, you can play with them and overlap them and so on until you have a symbol to your liking. here's what I came up with.

EJM-bindrune2.jpg

Now I don't know about you, but it looks a bit square to me, I mean as a design element, it's a bit blocky. So I've had a bit of a play around and come up with this. I've added a couple of waves at the bottom as well to represent water and changed the colour of the bindrune to green to represent grass and trees.

EJM-bindrune3.jpg

This is now my personal bindrune and I'm going to get a couple of stamps made up with it, one for leather and one for metal (blades).

If you fancy a go yourself, you can find your runic equivalent here where there is a runic converter, then just have a play around and see what you come up with.

Eric

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I really like that Eric - just had a play with mine and it looks terrible.... think i'll just keep to my G4;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nice one Eric, I was thinking what to put on the Mammoth tusk amulet I had made. Don't worry, it isn't a full tusk, just a postage stamp sized piece!

:D

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
The more I look at it the more I like the design but the more I dislike the colours.... they just seem to in your face and 'shout' at you. :eek:

I agree the blue and green are the colours to go for but muted colours would suit it more. It seems a clash of modern 'flourescent' colours and ancient design and more 'earthy' colours would compliment it better

- Then again its your logo and I should just shut up and go away! :sulkoff: after all you are a far better craftsman than me so what can I possibly bring to the party:rolleyes:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Had a look at the FUTHORC and it seems that PKS comes out as pretty crap runes that don't seem to look like they will bind very well. Never mind, I might just change my name to Edward James Malarkey and nick Erics' symbol!

:D

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
You're quite right about the colours. They look OK printed on paper, but on screen they are way too bright. I'm going back to the drawing programme I created them on (CorelDraw 9) and re-do them.

Eric

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
whats mine looking like in the leather ? Is it as nice and shiny as yours? I cant get the one you sent me off my pm. Cant wait to see the diary.
cheers
Greg
Edit: i managed to get it off the pm now and use it as my avatar whoooohooo

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Very nice indeed Eric.:notworthy Just had a look at my initials. Hmmmm bit of a challange there!:rolleyes:

Nah! FG's an easy one Fred. Five minutes on the keyboard.

fg-bindrune.jpg

I've made it with the colours already in your avatar.

(Let me know if you want it and I'll email you the files so it's yours to keep and do with what you will).

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
whats mine looking like in the leather ? Is it as nice and shiny as yours? I cant get the one you sent me off my pm. Cant wait to see the diary.
cheers
Greg
Edit: i managed to get it off the pm now and use it as my avatar whoooohooo

It's looking good so far. I have the leather cut, and the pages printed. Just have to do the tooling now. I meant to ask you before, I know I said I'd do an all leather fastening, but I can also do a proper popper stud if you prefer. Let me know Greg.

Eric

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
looking good chaps! - the new improved 'Eric' is much more you mate! ;)

rancid badger

I really do like the latest version Eric it's really impressive. It'll look fantastic as a stamp.
I've had a look at my initials,R.B. comes out as: you guessed it: R bloody B!!!:aargh4:

While my real initials; well, maybe not:(
it's a shame mind, because I've been looking for some sort of trade mark or personal stamp for years and never come up with anything near as good as that one of yours.

I don't know, some are blessed:rolleyes:
cest la vie
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE