fun knife project

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sometimes you just gotta play:)
DSCF6460.jpg

Leather from Addo, deer bone from Shambling Shamen (wow was it pongy getting the marrow out!) buffalo horn end and bolster, interior packed with sycamore.
Mora blade :)
Yes - it is still raining here.....

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Nice knife John.
The Lurcher skin sheath is a bit hardcore for me though. :yikes:
It never ceases to surprise me how Moras can be pimped to look so good.
Cheers , Simon

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Very nicely done i like it ,,but as Dreadhead says ..any kolrosing or carving planned for the bone?

Jason

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
One of the nicest uses of a mora blade i've seen.

Like the sheath too.

Good work John. :)
More fun than function - I would not want to batton with this knife as I am not 100% sure that there are no voids in the handle...
The bolster is proud of both bone and blade at the "grooves" in the bone, which are in line with the edge and the handle is slim even for my grip....
but it is still up to light work - carving, food prep etc :)
The thonging holes tore through the side of the Lurcher skin in a couple of places when I punched the holes - which is only glued to a thick leather backing (thats how it came) but the sheath still performs its function of holding the knife....
I was after a "primitive look" rather than a fully practical knife (some of my other Mora mods will seriously out perform this one :) ) and the photos do it more than justice :)
Having said that - I quite like it and can see me taking it out in the woods with me - but with an axe and saw for the heavy work :)
I had fun making it though!

birdbrain57

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2010
sunderland
I think that is really cool. My harris hawk is cleaning the remains off a deers leg as we speak might have a go at something like that when he is finished.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Still looks very nice. :)

I keep looking at it and thinking - That would be a really nice style for a folder. It almost looks like one in the pic with the groove/shadow on the underside of the handle. :)

More fun than function - I would not want to batton with this knife as I am not 100% sure that there are no voids in the handle...
The bolster is proud of both bone and blade at the "grooves" in the bone, which are in line with the edge and the handle is slim even for my grip....
but it is still up to light work - carving, food prep etc :)
The thonging holes tore through the side of the Lurcher skin in a couple of places when I punched the holes - which is only glued to a thick leather backing (thats how it came) but the sheath still performs its function of holding the knife....
I was after a "primitive look" rather than a fully practical knife (some of my other Mora mods will seriously out perform this one :) ) and the photos do it more than justice :)
Having said that - I quite like it and can see me taking it out in the woods with me - but with an axe and saw for the heavy work :)
I had fun making it though!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Kolrosing works on wood, you want scrimshaw on bone.

borgknife.jpg

Alternatively what I do is carve into the bone and then infill it with a mixture of crushed charcoal and beeswax.

Wow - that is a beaut!
I will have to practice that technique on some other stuff first.....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks for all the nice comments :)
I have had it out in the woods and done a bit of carving and cutting - it aint failed yet!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE