Finally finished my first ever knife sheath!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Ok, so it has taken me a bit longer than planned, but this evening I can finally put my first ever hand made knife sheath in to service. I did post a thread a while ago about the carving work I did on it so I won't bore anyone again about that. Over the last few evenings I've found the time to stitch it, dye it (3 coats of Fiebings Institutional Dye in 'Tan') and polish the edges using gum tagacanth and a bone folder.

This has been a really fun project for me. I've been one of those people who has said for years " I'd love to do something like that" when it comes to leather work. When I needed a new sheath for my Fieldcrafter it seemed a perfect chance to give it a go, what's the worst that can happen right?!

I handled this knife a while back with some English walnut scales, but I like my knife handles chunky. The result was this is a fair bit thicker in the handle than one made by Matt himself so the stitching on the supplied sheath was looking a bit strained. Not wanting to ruin an excellent sheath I decided to use Matt's original as a pattern, but just add a little extra around the mouth of the sheath to accommodate my handles voluptuous curves! I also made the belt loop a lot longer so it would hang lower from my belt as this is my preference. It was a nice opportunity to try my hand at carving too of course, to make it more personal.

I've learnt a huge amount on this, and will do things a little differently on the next one. Yes there will be a next one, I've definitely caught the leather working bug! The only problem is the wish list of tools is too long already! I used a fork from my cutlery raw to mark my stitches, I just picked one that looked 'about right'! To be fair it worked fin but the Mrs might start complaining so a stitch marker might be the next purchase. I bought a cheapo awl from my local fabric shop, it's much better than it's £1.75 price tag might've suggested, but the handle is narrrow and plastic. Whilst the point went through 3 layers of 4mm leather quite happily the skinny handle did start to bruise my palm. I'd like to set it into a nice homemade wood handle; another project!

Anyway enough waffle, here are my efforts:

Cheers,

James

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's an excellent sheath, very well done. One little tip, don't spend out first on a stitch marker 'cause that's fine the way you've done it - get yourself a proper diamond Awl blade and a decent handle, you won't believe the difference that one tool will make both to your hand and to the work itself :)

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Thanks for the lovely comments folks. Im very happy with it as my first ever leather project. I watched a LOT of YouTube vids and looked at a lot of leatherwork threads on here before finally being brave enough to crack on. At some point you've just got to delve in though haven't you!

Thanks for the tip Mac, I'm hopefully going to re-enactors fayre/market tomorrow so I'll so if I can pick one up.

I've got so many plans for leather projects now, including maybe even making my own satchel bag after a recent disappointing purchased one.

James

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
The symbol is one I came up with as a teenager back in the 90's when tribal designs were the in thing. It's a take on the Ichthus symbol (the Christian fish) which I've used and expanded on to create this. In short it's intended to mean Gods love for me is more than I can comprehend, it's eternal, undeniable and even through death his love will protect me.

I have it tattooed on my arm too.

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE