Fullers Earth - Please read, it's beneficial!

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Hi all, I hope this is the right forum for this :D

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is Fullers Earth Powder? [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fullers Earth is the common name for calcium montmorillonite. It is a naturally occurring sedimentary clay composed mainly of alumina, silica, iron oxides, lime, magnesia, and water, in variable proportions. It is highly absorbent and rich in minerals. Made into a into a fine, greyish off-white powder, Fullers Earth is a fantastic natural remedy with many different uses.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The name is derived from its first use for fulling - an ancient process where 'Fullers' (cloth makers) used Fullers Earth to absorb and remove oil and dirt from wool so it could be made into cloth. Fullers Earth is a highly absorbent substance commonly used as a cleanser to absorb and remove all types of oil, dirt and grease.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is Fullers Earth used for?[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Acne - Fullers Earth is deep cleansing. It has been used for centuries to remove impurities from the skin. It is dermatologically well-tolerated and often used in cosmetics. Mixed with a little water it can be made into a natural clay face mask/pack to remove oils, blackheads and impurities, unclog pores and replace lost moisture. It stimulates circulation and produces a lightening effect on the outer epidermal layer of the skin. It and is especially beneficial for blemished, dull and stressed skin. So far it has outperformed any material to help clean oily and acne-prone skin and comes highly recommended to those with acne problems, blemishes, spotting, and people prone to oily skin. Fullers Earth can be used in Sulphur acne treatment regimes. Mix two tablespoons of Fuller's earth with and one egg white and apply as a mask every day.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nappy rash - due to its highly absorbent properties, Fullers Earth has been found to be an effective natural remedy for clearing and treating nappy rash and irritated skin conditions. Simply sprinkle onto the skin.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Internal cleanser - Fullers Earth is a powerful cleanser or intestinal detoxifier. It is often used in colon cleansing and enemas as it helps remove impacted waste. When taken internally it has been proven to prevent the absorption of toxic substances in the gastrointestinal tract. The Aluminium in Fullers Earth is rendered insoluble by silica which removes the risk of it being absorbed by the body.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As a dry shampoo.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Insect bites - an traditional Indian remedy suggests Fullers Earth is mixed with water and apple cider vinegar to make a thin paste. Relieves discomfort when applied to the bite for a few minutes. Rinse with warm water
    [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As well as these above health and beauty related uses, Fullers Earth also has other uses!:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Stain remover - traditionally used as a cleaning and degreasing powder for removing grease and dirty marks on carpets, clothes, furniture, wooden/ stone floors etc.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fishing - traditional fly fishermen use it to create an effective and durable sinkant.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cat litter - highly absorbent and safe if kittens nibble it and it can be used to loosen tangles in long hair cats![/FONT]
Text from : http://www.thesuperfoodco.co.uk/fullers-earth-powder-c-60_85.html

No link with company, yada yada yada...

I remember my mum using it on the kids bums when they had nappy rash and I use it when out and about to dry my feet and to absorb the oil in my hair but there are so many more uses for this, amazing! I particularly like the idea of using it for insect bites :) Perhaps it's a good thing for when you are poisoned and far from hospital?

Just a heads up on this amazing stuff! :240:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
It's also used for decontamination after a chemical warfare strike ;)
I've still got a few kits lurking in the back of my storage locker I think.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Don't know if it still is but it used to be used in the forces for NBC attacks, to mop up and chemicals etc. Although if I remember correctly, they never actually got us to remove the fullers earth once used ( in drills ) so you'd still have the chemicals present but just in powder or sludge..

Never knew about the other uses, and had completely forgot about it till now. Certainly seems to be a wonderful substance. Cheers Cobweb!

Nag.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
i have pot of fuller earth cream. It is the clay mixed with lanolin and other greases. It is very good on my skin on my heels, which is awful. Nice to know about the nbc thing, i see can the ability to absorb nasty chemicals actually been useful.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
i have pot of fuller earth cream. It is the clay mixed with lanolin and other greases. It is very good on my skin on my heels, which is awful. Nice to know about the nbc thing, i see can the ability to absorb nasty chemicals actually been useful.
I agree, that's definitely good to know!

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
Fuller earth isn't stricktly used for the sinkant properties in fishing as suggested. It is used as a fine abrasive to remove the shine from nylon line so it is less visible to fish in sunlight.
Some people mix it with washing up liquid which does the degreasing part as well to make a universal sinkant anti flash dressing.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Most cheap cat litter is just Fullers Earth, making use of the absorbent properties.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE