Full ECWS Sleep System - 2nd Grade for £35

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Spotted these on ebay, might be worth a punt ..

Complete 4 piece genuine US ECWS sleep system, including goretex bivvy

£35 delivered

2nd Grade - They mention small tears that can be easily repaired so might be a good investment if you can handle a needle and thread. It doesn't say whether it's Tennier brand but they do claim it's genuine stuff.

Linky

no connection etc etc

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got the bivvy bag but never tried the sleeping bags

Mine is Tennier brand and it's definitely what you'd call squaddie proof, built like a tank.

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have one, totally bomb proof it is too, by using the 3 bags in different combos you can get a good nights sleep in any temp down to something daft like -50*f. But when all 3 bags are together in the 1 stuff sack it is a big lump. I paid £70 for mine, it was issued but you would hardly know it and I don't regret it at all

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
it says in the info good for -30f which is minus one point one centigrade... that's a lot of bag for just -1.1c

:(

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
A new or lightly-used one is a brilliant piece of kit - and I agree about the bivvy bag. But with seconds, you just don't know what you're going to end up with. If a bit of kit (and this bit of kit is - as said earlier - pretty bullet-proof) has been so hammered that it needs repairs, the chances are that its been hammered and repeatedly washed, which doesn't do much for the insulation properties of most sleeping bags.

At £35, it not much of a gamble, and you'll probably get value for money, but don't expect it to be anywhere as warm as a new one!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A new or lightly-used one is a brilliant piece of kit - and I agree about the bivvy bag. But with seconds, you just don't know what you're going to end up with. If a bit of kit (and this bit of kit is - as said earlier - pretty bullet-proof) has been so hammered that it needs repairs, the chances are that its been hammered and repeatedly washed, which doesn't do much for the insulation properties of most sleeping bags.

At £35, it not much of a gamble, and you'll probably get value for money, but don't expect it to be anywhere as warm as a new one!

Except that "seconds" doesn't mean second-hand (used) It means that there were factory defects (usually stitching) that caused it to be rejected by the inspectors. They're usually new and unused; often with the manufacturer's labels removed.

However the link does seem to indicate something other than true "seconds."

Last edited:

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Except that "seconds" doesn't mean second-hand (used) It means that there were factory defects (usually stitching) that caused it to be rejected by the inspectors. They're usually new and unused; often with the manufacturer's labels removed.

Are you sure? I am reading it as a grade two military surplus item. Factory seconds is a completely different kettle of fish and nothing in the advert indicates to me that that is what they mean.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Are you sure? I am reading it as a grade two military surplus item. Factory seconds is a completely different kettle of fish and nothing in the advert indicates to me that that is what they mean.

I tend to agree with you after looking at the ad. I was thinking factor seconds due to the OP title.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I once bought a grade 1 listed British Army bag and froze in it a 0 degrees .
It looked in great nick but must have been laundered to death. They won't all be like that but....

Another way to look at it though.... You'll get a good bivvy bag for £35 which aint bad really.
I believe these US bivvy bags are even more robust than the British issue.
If the sleeping bags are good too then you're on a winner, even if only one is good.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Yeah you're right chaps, that's my bad

It was late and I was tired, what I should have wrote was 2nd grade rather than 2nds, I'll update the OP

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE