Fuel Transport Safety

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the safety of transport and storage in cars of various fuel types?

Wood - safe to transport and safe to store.
Meths - reasonably safe to transport, but would you leave it in a hot car in the summer?
Gas - reasonably safe to transport, but I woudl have thought pretty dangerous to leave in a hot car in the summer.
White gas/Petrol ???

Is it simply a case of having a suitable storage container? For example, I used to carry around 5 litre can of petrol in a designed-for-purpose can and had no concern about this? However, I'm not sure I'd want to leave gas canisters in a hot car in the summer.

Cheers!

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
The jerry cans make a good storage container. I have 2 mounted
to the rear spars rack on my Landy. I am in Texas so far heat has not been a problem

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
As far as I am aware.

Wood - no problem. Just be aware of how much you are putting in and do the right thing to make sure that you dont transport anything that isn't carrying anything nasty.

Meths - you are probably only looking at small quantities. Personally, I wouldn't want to leave it in direct sunlight in a hot car - more for the mess that it would make if the container split than anything related to fire.

Gas canisters - I can't remember the quantity where it becomes an issue. Shouldn't be a problem, but again - I wouldn't leave it in direct sunlight. Eurotunnel won't let you take it.

Petrol - Purpose built containers are a must. Worth remembering that if you store more than 20L at home then you need to register. Some garages will only let you fill 10L metal containers now, although a lot will let you do it.

Best to only carry what you need though, rather than turning your car into a mobile incendiary ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE