Fuel Hoarding

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
the question's come ups bout storing petrol and how it goes stale, it does these days, didn't use to be anywhere near as bad but now that it's 'better' petrol it's hard stuff to store, we store some but it's for chain saw's, strummer and the petrol mower.

I thought though that Diesel lasted a lot better than petrol, is that the case or am I wrong?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Diesel is ok so long as you keep moisture out.

Not to mention the torch bearing mobs intent on stealing said cache of fuel for their own vital needs... like school runs and trips to the pub.

I haven't been into town yet over here in France, not that it'd affect me at all but I will be coming to the UK just after Easter so a full tank and a jerry can might be in order methinks.

Shame there isn't a law against scaremongering that can make those who spread this sort of panic be held accountable... or maybe the PM's got shares in BP?

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
If and when there is an announcement, it will just make things even worse.

"There's going to be a strike in 7 days; I must fill up now!"

On a related topic, I always wonder what sort of people buy enough food for an army just because the supermarkets are closed for 2 days over Christmas; probably the same lot...

I know, it's ridiculous! I do think there is an agenda behind the announcement but I can't go into that due to the forums rules on speaking about politics. All the same while I don't believe we will all needs loads of fuel stored, having and keeping a full tank and maybe a spare 5 litres is a good idea anyway in my opinon.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
the question's come ups bout storing petrol and how it goes stale, it does these days, didn't use to be anywhere near as bad but now that it's 'better' petrol it's hard stuff to store, we store some but it's for chain saw's, strummer and the petrol mower.

I thought though that Diesel lasted a lot better than petrol, is that the case or am I wrong?

Likewise, I keep a supply of petrol for chainsaws etc and also around 50 > 100 litres of diesel for the generator.
All fuels get rotated into the cars etc every 6 months, not had a problem so far, mind you the V8 in the range rover prefers the cheapest petrol going, not so sure how the modern uber efficient engines will cope!!

Tom

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'm hoarding logs, does that count? :D

Did fill up with diesel today, there was quite a queue & 2/3 petrol stations in town were closed. Bit worried about my Jerry cans of petrol now - think it might have gone off... I assume it still burns, might have to use it in my camping stove!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I just got back from town where I bought a £1.99 stainless steel drainer as a mini fire pit.

There was a bloke in there proudly showing off the new Jerrycan he'd bought; to the tune of dark mutterings from everyone else...

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
For once dont think the media is to blame think the Gov's at fault,with there stupid advice, does em no harm either more people buying= more dosh, plus it distracts from other issues.

i wont write it up here as this is a bush craft forum and these are unusual questions, but it is very easy to store petrol in very good condition the same goes with diesel for many years, without causing any problems to the vehical it is used in. i would suggest going to a prepper website forum to see how its done.

to me it would seam sencible at any time of the year to keep a 5 litre petrol /diesel can at home filled up , just in case, or or the lawn mower etc, the same would also apply to a few days food at home etc

not tons, just reasonable usage

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I never realised petrol went off, worryingly I've been topping up my stoves and lantern with fuel that must be 8 or 9 years old. Still burns okay

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I never realised petrol went off, worryingly I've been topping up my stoves and lantern with fuel that must be 8 or 9 years old. Still burns okay

It's not so much that it goes off, rather that it looses it's octane rating over time.
For your run of the mill car it really makes very little difference, for forced induction high performance cars it can be fatal for the motor.

Many modern performance cars have a ECU that has active knock control, so if knock (what destroys many high performance petrol motors) is detected the ECU will automatically retard the timing.
The car may feel a bit more sluggish but other than that it should run ok unless the petrol has seriously deteriorated.

You could if your worried add octane boaster, some are better than others, but either way my choice would be to rotate petrol supplies regularly.

Our Smart car doesn't really care too much what petrol is added, my Supercharged MX5 is extremely sensitive to bad petrol, to the point where i can tell if a petrol station has had it's fuel standing in it's tanks for a while.
With the MX5 i always fill up at the busiest petrol stations that way you can edge your bets on it being fairly fresh petrol.

For diesel i honestly wouldn't worry too much, as said the only real worry is water collecting in the storage tank as this can set off a algae bloom that will cause running problems.
The main worry for diesel is that if your fill your container up in summer you will have a summer blend, this will cause problems if you decide to run it in the depths of winter.

For heaters, cookers etc that run on diesel there really is no worry.
We have a 5 ton diesel tank at our summer house that was last filled up 10 years ago, it still ran great this last winter.

Cheers
Mark

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
I was just pondering on the fuel `rush` today -and the thought was !! what a fantastic way to increase revenue for the goverment coffers -should make a very good return for the end of year tax revenue !!

or i am just being cynical ?? hmmm

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
LOL... i thought exactly the same thing !

i also thought that it could be a good way of showing us how bad it could get if there was a strike and influencing public opinion.....just a thought :)

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
I was just pondering on the fuel `rush` today -and the thought was !! what a fantastic way to increase revenue for the goverment coffers -should make a very good return for the end of year tax revenue !!

or i am just being cynical ?? hmmm

and i also thought the same thing. that makes 3 of us...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

What happens is that varnish and/or gums began to form in the old (stale) petrol and can, well, gum up the injectors or carburetors. Especially in small engines such as lawn mowers or outboard motors. There are stabilizing agents you can add (Sta-Bil is one brand name) and that's a common practice over here when winterizing said items (basically preparing for storeage until used again next Spring): either draining the tanks or adding a stabilizing agent. Failure to do so keeps the small engine repair shops in business. Repair is usually simple though; just remove the stale petrol and clean the injectors or carbutetor and fuel lines.

Last edited:

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Thank goodness for panic buying, now the government coffers have been replenished, their friends made a killing with Oil company shares and the lorry drivers make enough overtime this week to cover their wage losses if they strike.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE