Frying Pan Mod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Hi Folks,
Relatively newbie here. When it comes to cooking outdoors on one of my walks I tend to use my Tatonka cookset on my Coleman's F1 gas 'stove' and it works really well (except that I still manage to get food sticking to the pan when I fry something, but I'm working on that :)

Last month I went 'regular camping' with my dearly beloved and the Tatonka kit was supplemented with a non-stick frying pan I bought especially for the occasion from a company called 'Robert Dyas' and christened it the Camping Pan. It is large enough to cook for two people and at £6 (I think) great value for money. We were car camping so size/weight etc. wasn't a problem but we also intended to go walking alternate days and to take along some food and the means of cooking/heating it up. Generally we had ham or cheese baguettes and heated some soup on the stove or made an omelette, fried some bacon or sausages, etc. So we took the stove and the frying pan along in my 25litre day bag. The problem was, the shape of the pan, with it's handle especially as it is tilted slightly upwards at an angle, made it difficult to pack efficiently in the small-ish bag.

When we got home I decided to make a modification. The handle was held to the pan with two stout aluminium rivets and I cut these out. (I don't have a man cave and therefore don't have many tools, so this was done with a hacksaw blade held in a folded tea-towel....). The handle came off relatively easily. I had bought some M6x12mm bolts especially for the job so I used these bolts to replace the rivets.

various009_zpsd4794180.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The advantage of doing this is, when I need to pack the pan in a rucksack, I can undo the handle and fix it inside the pan using the same bolts. It seems to work well.

various010_zps20423ea3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

When I need the pan it is quick and simple to reposition the handle where it should be!

various007_zps50d2ded5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

One of the other things I like about this pan is, the handle is stainless steel and hollow. So, if I wanted to, I could lengthen it by jamming a piece of wood into the end of the handle to extend the handle if I wanted to hold it over an open fire.

What you think :) ?

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Wing nuts were my original plan and the shop had wing nuts but at a silly price - I will see if I can get them cheaper elsewhere.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I liked this idea so much, I went and dug out my box of odd nuts and bolts to see if I had any wingnuts as mentioned but could only find these,

nuts.jpg

they are 15mm long M6 nuts (from worktop joining bolts) and a couple of spring washers.....bottom left is a std M6 nut for comparison. I think you could get enough grip on them to do the wingnuts job.
They are yours for the asking if you want them Mike.

Rob.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I like that, nice and tidy...plus you end up with a frying pan that's probaby better than 90% of the "camping" jobbies for a quarter of the price

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE