Frozen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garethw

Settler
It's pretty cold out here in Northern France.... Everywhere is frozen over. I shot a shot clip of a lake near my home. The most amazing thing was the noise of the cracking ice, it can just be heard in the video.
Cheers
Gareth
[video=youtube;_FZH5fujad4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FZH5fujad4&t=6s[/video]

Last edited:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I was at a park over the weekend which has a small lake, this was mostly frozen over with a few open patches where the swans were. My kids, being kids, threw bits of wood onto the ice, the noise was amazing. They then got longer poles to bash the ice sheet with. Each strike produced noise like someone twanging a taught thick metal cable. I never knew ice would sound like that :)

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Aye, seems Europe are getting the low temps, which we usually get.

Been a very mild winter over here, season's are all to pot.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I went a bit mental with budgeting over the last year or so as I moved into a new house with gas central heating which is new to me and cost more than I thought, as part of that I've recorded the tempreature on and off. Apparently the average temp for January [NE Scotland] is 5.5 degress [forgot where I found that.], last year it was 2.9 deg, this year 4.4 deg. So warmer than last year but still colder than 'average'

garethw

Settler
I went a bit mental with budgeting over the last year or so as I moved into a new house with gas central heating which is new to me and cost more than I thought, as part of that I've recorded the tempreature on and off. Apparently the average temp for January [NE Scotland] is 5.5 degress [forgot where I found that.], last year it was 2.9 deg, this year 4.4 deg. So warmer than last year but still colder than 'average'
Wow.. well since Christmas its been below zero at night, as low as -10 or -15°C.. and barely positive in the day.. perhaps 2 or 3 deg. Continental climate with easterlies coming in from Europe... Brrrrrrrrrr!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
….and I'm sitting in central Scotland, and so warm today that I'm wearing a short sleeved Summer blouse.
The central heating's only on for a few hours in the evening.

M

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
….and I'm sitting in central Scotland, and so warm today that I'm wearing a short sleeved Summer blouse.
The central heating's only on for a few hours in the evening.

M

It's the same here in the N/east, Mary.

A few frosty nights, with mild day temps.

Mr Trump doesn't believe in climate change :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aye. Indeed. :rolleyes:
It's nearly 10C here just now, near the end of January. It's night and it's like the clouds are a big thick duvet over the top of us.

M

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Aye. Indeed. :rolleyes:
It's nearly 10C here just now, near the end of January. It's night and it's like the clouds are a big thick duvet over the top of us.

M

We'll probs get a cold spell with heavy snow fall... in July :rolleyes:

Somellier

Jan 17, 2017
Peak District
Here in the High Peak, the temperature has struggled to get to 5º C with under 0º at night. This is just weather, not climate. In 2010 (I think) we had snow lying for 3 months!

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Here in the High Peak, the temperature has struggled to get to 5º C with under 0º at night. This is just weather, not climate. In 2010 (I think) we had snow lying for 3 months!

Aye i remember that winter well 2009/2010... The big freeze :hatscarf:

Country come to a stand still... the out let pipes for the central heating froze inside the house on Christmas day.. caused a massive flood inside the house :censored:

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I posted the photos on this thread, taken about this time of year, seven years ago :)
Now that's kind of what we expect, for at least part of the Winter.
ww.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51142

M

Mary, the link's not working!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks for the thread, Toddy. Nice to see what your countryside looks like with a bit of whiteness.
Hoar frost certainly dresses up the trees.
We're in a spell of -10C nights and -2C days after a wild snowstorm which ended several weeks of close to -30C nights.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE