frosty camp.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
hey, i'm going on what my scout group calls a frosty camp this weekwnd. It's where we go to a campsite friday night, then we sleep in the lodge on friday. On saturday we do stuff like firelighting, axe work and shelter construction. On saturday night we sleep in out shelters. Because i've been on a woodlore course everyone expects me to make a great shelter... but the campsite has limited resouces so i might be a bit embarrased when i can't come up with the goods!! but any way i'm looking forward to it. What type of shelter would you make for 2-3 people when there is limited resources? :pack: :yikes:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I have had the same problem in the past with my scouts, so we made polythene bashas and used the limited resources to make end walls. Not the warmest solution,if you have enough groundsheets you can use them as tarps and use natural resources to close the ends where it is not as critical if there isn't enough cover. At least this way they stay dry and get to forage for natural resources, I told them as we couldnt get any skins the poly would take its place. Also if the kids are into computer games tell them it is like "age of empires" The younger ones loved that!

Chip Dale

Jan 10, 2005
NORFOLK
If you can get hold of one, why not knock up a parachute teepee. I,ve worked with cadets and the minuet they see a parachute, they seem to settle right into the mood and treat you like the be-all and know-all.
It has saved embarrassment on the odd occasion.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
A good piece of kit to take on such a camp is - if you have them in the group - army ponchos. Wonderfully multi-purpose, they'll keep the kids dry on a hike if it pours, and make great bivvies/sunscreens!

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
you could always try the "ray mears special" hexagonal lean-to design with a central area for a fire, this would be cosy, and warm. and gives everyone something to do, i.e. a huge group project!!

smaller shelters tend to be warmer.

construction of decent beds, furniture, walls ect, will all be usefull to one and all.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Any of your friends got hootchies? Pop two together with a ridgepole and hey presto...

yeah but then you wake up lookin' like this! :yikes:

135552.jpg

i don't do mornings as a rule.... :roll: :eek:):

probably a bit late with this one, a while ago wicks' builders merchants had huge green poly tarps going for a fiver, you could build a ray mears group shelter frame and thatch it with the tarp, or two. the green ones are much nicer than the bright blue ones in B&Q

a full on natural group shelter might be a bit too big a project for a weekend.

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE