Frontline or Camping DD Hammock??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
OK hoping to get one of these hammocks for my b'day but as it will be my first hammock which one do I go for????
Frontline.
Camping.
Thanks for your time.

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
why not the travel? I've just bought one, although by that i mean i've only just paid for it so wont get it for a couple of days lol

for me i picked the travel as you can use it on the ground too, so where ever you go at least you know you'll have some where dry to sleep

Hangman

Tenderfoot
I've got the travel hammock and quite franklt I'm not impressed, as a hammock the material is fine, but in comparison to bivi bags I've owned it's not going to last too long as a bivi bag.

The other big downside for me is that when used as a hammock the waterproofing doesn't breathe and it allows water vapour to condense - the half dozeb times I've used it I've ended up waking up with a damp sleeping bag.

Definately a good idea but not field tested, If I wanted a hammock with a mosi net I'd get the Frontline hammock.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
I agree with Hangman

I have had the same trouble with condensation in my travel hammock.

I did advise DD and shortly after they announced the release of the new frontline hammock.

So I definitely wouldn't go for the travel hammock.

Just my opinion, from waking up with a damp sleeping bag as well. :(

Phill

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I have the DD Travel and haven't had any problems whatsoever with condensation. I have made some Modifications to it over the last year, but those are more for my ease then a criticism of the original.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I have a Travel Hammock and have had no problems with it as a hammock. On the contrary - I think it is excellent. I use a snugpack duvet thingy rather than a sleeping bag so that may be a factor

I have also used it on the ground (+ tarp) and found it a perfectly ok except the netting was a bit too close to my face for my liking - didn't stop me getting a decent night's seep though and gives a good option if no trees available.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I have a Travel Hammock and have had no problems with it as a hammock. On the contrary - I think it is excellent. I use a snugpack duvet thingy rather than a sleeping bag so that may be a factor

I have also used it on the ground (+ tarp) and found it a perfectly ok except the netting was a bit too close to my face for my liking - didn't stop me getting a decent night's seep though and gives a good option if no trees available.
I was looking at one these blankets, are they actually any good.

I dont like sleeping in all my clothes (sorry for that image), so I like to be warm. Whats the lowest you have been in one, and how was it?

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I use a snugpack under blanket on the underneath outside the hammock, and a snugpak 'duvet' - the one with wings - inside.

The coldest night I used it was the first time. I was wearing trouisers and woolie jumper. Don't know the temperature but it was December and frost formed on the underside of the tarp. I was practicing in the garden and had to go in at about 2/3am - not because of the cold - I was plenty warm enough - but because I had hung the hammock too close to the tarp; the tarp sagged close to the hammock and made it wet.

This was not a problem with any of the kit - it was simply the first time I had ever been in a hammock (or camped out for 40 years) and didn't have any experience/instructions on how to set up.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Hi Hangman

When I emailed them about the problem, I got the same response.

Methinks someone fouled up and didn't think through the use of waterproof materials for the hammock and now have to try to keep unhappy customers on side and try to stop any bad reports spreading around the forums.

I don't see why I should have to go to the expense of getting a bivvy bag to use in my hammock, especially as they keep you warmer and that's not always pleasant in the summer just to correct what is in my opinion a badly thought out design FUBAR.

Like I say just my opinion.

Phill

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I use a snugpack under blanket on the underneath outside the hammock, and a snugpak 'duvet' - the one with wings - inside.

And it was designed by our very own Wanderinstar on here. You will see credit for design given to Ian Dent-Willoughby. loads of people on here have them and rate them very highly.

Greg

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
OK hoping to get one of these hammocks for my b'day but as it will be my first hammock which one do I go for????
Frontline.
Camping.
Thanks for your time.

if you go for the FL all you have to do is turn it upside down and then you have a camping hammock ...WALLA !

and the FL isn't made of the waterproof material

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
I've just done the same deal as hangman as well.

Received my Frontline hammock yesterday.

The material seems a lot better than the Travel hammock.

Will post more info when I can get out and try it.

Phill

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
But i don't think thats a bad thing for a hommock, it'll make it nice and breathable!

It would only be an issue if you wanted to use it as a bivi as well!

Drew

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
The reason i bought the travel hammock was because it could be used as a bivi as well.

I like equiptment to be multi functional if possible, but in this case the hammock turned out to be a jack of all trades and a master of none in my case.

The non breathability of the material caused the condensation problem that left me with a wet sleeping bag in the morning.

However, I seem to be in the minority as most other people don't seem to have this problem.

So it is a case of pay your money and take a chance.

Phill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE