Frontier coffee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
I don't know why as i am normaly a tea drinker but the idea of making your own coffee on the fire is realy appealing to me. So, how do you do it?
I take it you grinf your own beans, bung em in a pot with water and put on the coals :confused:
Do the coffee pots come with some sort of filter?
What pots has everyone got?
Apparently tube drivers used to be issued tea pots and mugs before company plan ( about 10 years ago i think ). Anyway one of my managers showed me his the other day. It was white enamel with an enamel mug that fitted over the top. I couldn't take my eyes off it :eek: :D . I don't know why but i much prefer enamel to teflon or tin. There's something realy rigged about enamel :)
The addition of milk or sugar seems to spoil the illusion of a true cowboy brewing up but i'm sure frontier coffe would be positively eye popping without it.
Any stories, suggestions or pictures of your pots and mugs would be great. Oh, and manufacturers so i look up where to get the best one :D .

God i never realised i was this sad! :lmao:

Bilko,

There are actually a couple of types of camp coffee pot. One, the percolator, has a basket for your ground coffee and the coffee brews by boiling up through a small diameter tube and down through the grounds.

Cowboy coffee is made in the second type of camp pot by throwing ground coffee into the pot, brewing until you can stand a spoon in the mixture, and then consumed grit and all.

I have used a 14-cup percolator out at the campsite a few times and find the coffee truly enjoyable. Cowboy coffee is good but chewing on the brewed grounds hours later isn't so high on my list. :)

GSI makes both kinds of pot, Coleman (I believe) makes them, and I'm not sure who is making the enamel-coated ones these days but they're the ones my parents used when I was a kid and they haven't changed a bit since then. I'm sure they are built essentially the same way they were when the cowboys were riding the range drinking their gritty coffee.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Brian_T said:
Bilko,

There are actually a couple of types of camp coffee pot. One, the percolator, has a basket for your ground coffee and the coffee brews by boiling up through a small diameter tube and down through the grounds.

Cowboy coffee is made in the second type of camp pot by throwing ground coffee into the pot, brewing until you can stand a spoon in the mixture, and then consumed grit and all.

I have used a 14-cup percolator out at the campsite a few times and find the coffee truly enjoyable. Cowboy coffee is good but chewing on the brewed grounds hours later isn't so high on my list. :)

GSI makes both kinds of pot, Coleman (I believe) makes them, and I'm not sure who is making the enamel-coated ones these days but they're the ones my parents used when I was a kid and they haven't changed a bit since then. I'm sure they are built essentially the same way they were when the cowboys were riding the range drinking their gritty coffee.

In Norway many people make their coffee the way you describe cowboy coffee but I`ve never seen anyone eat the grit :eek: .
The grit is left in the pot.
In the wilderness this grit is base for another brew.
And we (almost) never boil the coffee!!! That is a no no.
The water is boiled and coffee grain added, then let it sit for 8 minutes and enjoy.

Tor

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Tor helge said:
In Norway many people make their coffee the way you describe cowboy coffee but I`ve never seen anyone eat the grit :eek: .
The grit is left in the pot.
In the wilderness this grit is base for another brew.
And we (almost) never boil the coffee!!! That is a no no.
The water is boiled and coffee grain added, then let it sit for 8 minutes and enjoy.

Tor

Yep, thats the way we do it in Sweden too but sometimes I fix the coffee in a way I learned in Finland. There you put the coffee in cold water and let it get hotter and hotter until it boils, then you remove the pot and let the grit sink down after that the coffee is ready. We dont use the grit again but if you want to save coffee you can use the grit again and again until you get nothing out of it anymore.

Then I use too instand coffee which is very nice too for a fast fix.

cheers
Abbe

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
Two spoons of ground coffee per person in a pot of cold water. Put it on the fire and leave it until it is just about, but not quite boiled, then leave it to stand for a few minutes. The stand time will let the majority of the grit sink to the bottom.

Before pouring the coffee tap the side ofthe billy can and this will cause more of the sediment to settle down...then drink and enjoy.

One more thing..dont spoil it by putting milk and sugar in...yuk

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
To make decent coffee

take one enamel coffee pot/billy (or whatever you carry) add mountain spring water (or tap) and bring to the boil on the glowing embers of your fire.

Add "co**** ground" coffee to taste and set close to the embers, but not on them (you do NOT want to boil your coffee, as this is what makes it bitter). Set the pot off the vertical so the grounds/grit settle in the corner from which you will pour (you get less c**p in your cup).

Five minutes is usually enough time for the grounds to settle, but if not, remove the lide for a few seconds, this allows the grounds on the surface to cool slightly and helps them settle.

Some people say throw some cold water in the pot to settle the grounds. This makes excellent COLD coffee (nothing else)

I've heard egg shells thrown into the pot helps settle grounds, but not something I have had the need to do.

Campfire coffee made like this is not good to the last drop. Scatter your grounds wide for nature to re-use. :)

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
The other technique to settle the grounds is to hold the pot by the handle and with a straight arm give it a couple of windmill spins around (Has to be done with a certain 'confidence' :D).

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Goose said:
They were on sale at whittards for about £8, are they any good?

I use mine every day in the house, and have used it on bbq charcoal, campfire, meths stove etc and its ok, you just have to make sure the plastic handle is out of the way of direct heat, I use a one cup version, but many other sizes are available

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, stove-top espresso pot is definitely the way to go... You can actually get a decent cup of coffee out of one. ;)

Not that I drink much coffee any more - makes me far too twitchy and irritable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE