Front garden yields ancient tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
thats my stomping ground :) did you also know when" they " defiled the whole area with the chanel tunnel rail link "they" desecrated a Saxon graveyard

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
that's interesting blood line can you elaborate i though they would have had to do some archaeology on such sites before work could begin but a quick Google has turned up no archaeological reports. A local bypass has just been built and the archaeological report for that was very interesting reading a head in a pit, some unknown graves and the base to a post mill, the channel tunnel was such a big project there must have been loads of finds and survey work done but i cant find a report on it anywhere.

if you want to do it by pm that would be great then we don't detract from this thread.

James

edit:

seems they also found a stone age elephant and a lot of other stuff roman temples early iron and stone age sites too

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
A construction company is not bound by the law to carry out an archaeological assessment of an area, it is only advised (PPG 16). If something is known about or turns up whilst carrying out the construction then archaeologists should be called in but people generally dont unless they are interested in history, someone complains to the council or human remains are found. A desktop assessment is usually carried out on supposed sites i.e where someone thinks there is something of archaeological interest and can then end there. If something turns up then trial trenching or archaeological prospection should be carried out, but again it is upto the construction company to foot this bill and something as large as the Channel Tunnel would have been forced through without too much concern.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
ooh thanks for that lard you learn something every day
IMO it's disgraceful that if you want to build something or find some archeology your not bound by anything to report it and have it investigated before you drive a blooming great digger through it

James

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
If something does turn up i.e a lovely ancient graveyard, then you are in real trouble. You are then liable to foot the full bill rather than the council/state and if in this case it is multi-period then the excavation could last a long time and cost lots of money.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
That's interesting. The construction of the new office building opposite where I work was delayed for months and months because of archeological digs. I assumed that it was because the construction company had to - it must have cost them huge amounts of money.

I can see an argument why it's not compulsory, as you'd never be able to dig anywhere without having to stop to see whether it's a priceless bronze age urn or a mug that someone dropped back in the 1950s. But still, it's not ideal.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wonderful finds :D puts our little microliths to shame...different times, different folks, different needs though.

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE