Friendly question - knife design

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I need to ask this, are the folders with assisted opening legal in UK?

With assisted opening I mean a system that you manually (thumb) open the blade a certain degree ( some have a 90 degree ) then a spring opens the blade the rest of the way.

The reason is that I bought one from the US, and want to take it with me to Norway early next year. I travelover UK and I will stay there for a couple of days before taking the flight over to Norway.

I ‘need’ it as a safety knife while fishing from my boat.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Currently, yes. There are moves to change the law, however.

Even if the law is changed, I doubt the change would come into effect by the time of your trip.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Depends on how early next year. I would keep an eye on the news here about the new laws they are looking at. Also, it undoubtedly will lock open, so, same as a sheath knife, you need to be smart and discreet about how you travel with it. Best bet is to leave it in luggage, in the place you are staying, rather than having it with you or in your vehicle. That is the most "legal" answer. Chances of you having any problems if you have it in luggage while travelling around is minimal.

A number of people have suggested disassembly and removal of springs as a way to stay legal in the event of a law change. Not sure whether that would work, or be worth the hassle, but if it was me, I would consider it since I have the tools and have taken all my screw-together knifes apart at least once or twice. YMMV.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I plan to have it in the suitcase.
I could buy it (ffom US) and hsve it sent to Norway, but it is difficult to time the buying/shipping so it can be delivered so I have it straight away..

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Wouldn't it just be easier to buy a suitable knife when you get to Norway? :deadhorse: :rofl:

It would, but then I need to get myself to the nearest town that have a shop with those. Not sure if it is in Bodø 4 hour ferry away, or Svolvaer 2.5 hours car ride away. They have them in a well stocked shop in Oslo, but that would be a day trip if I take the earliest plate to Bodø so I can catch the first Oslo flight....

I have checked in the Leknes, the closest town. Only one hour car drive away. No luck. That is why I bought it from the US.

(I can buy fixed or folders at the local petrol station or supermarket, but not assisted.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE