Fried Spoon

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I was supposed to be out working today, but the torrential rain and strong winds has put paid to that, so having done a Post Office run in, im figuring what can i do?.

So im having a look through some things and i see this spoon that i carved ages ago.

DSCN4880.jpg

Then i thought, lets fry it - well, as you do:rolleyes:

I got the idea a while back when i was up the woods with Hugo & Rockmonkey and it was my turn to cook the bacon butties up, i left my spoon in the pan for a bit too long and it started to cook, so i grabbed a small frying pan, put a little bit oil in the bottom and fried this spoon up, the result was this

DSCN4883.jpg

DSCN4885.jpg

I quite like the effect it has given, amazing what comes to mind when you are at a loose end on a wet & windy day:rolleyes:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Lightweight! A real man would be out there braving the elements and laughing in the face of the wind to bring it on.

Says Biker sat indoors watching the rain lash against the window and thinking the dog really doesn't need his walk today does he?

"frying spoons" whatever next???! :confused: I suppose now you have a dedicated spoon just for frying stuff now. :lmao:

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Deep fried spoon's hey, Hope this was not your idea of something different for lunch tomorrow mate!:)
Nice job though!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Well it beats your pancakes hands down:p:lmao:

only kidding that pancake you made was very tasty

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I suppose this is just a variation on the boiling it in oil to seal it. I find heating oil in a jug in the microwave, then standing the spoon in the hot oil until the oil cools and bubbles stop coming from the wood is an effective method if I really want to seal a spoon, rather than just coat it. Never had one crack this way either.

On the other hand I had a jug full of walnut oil crack whilst in the microwave once when I put it on for too long :(

Anyway, great work as always, and an interesting effect.

Now we need a low fat version for dieters... :rolleyes:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
** Turns on his deepfryer** Well what the heck, lets give it a go ^^.
But looking great Kepis, I might try that sometime looks really good to me.
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE