Friction folder question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
So i spent a while last week designing my own little friction folder, that bit of it is all sorted now though. What I was planning was to have the wooden scales with brass liners and with the area between the scales as brass too. My question is, when the knife is folded up what is there to stop the blade simply hitting the brass and dulling the edge? I can see this being a problem with most materials although a metal more so.

I hope this makes sense sort of?

Thanks for any help :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Alright mate,

There is a pin under the main pivot that stops the blade doing a full swing around, in the right place will also stop the blade touching the middle spacer!

This is my old walnut handled one, as you can see there's a pin thats sole purpose is to control the blade.

I have the trace of my blade ready for you mate, so should get it sent out today.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Ah now that makes a lot more sense, I hadn't noticed that before, thanks for that! Certainly clears things up now.

And thanks very much mate thats much appreciated :)

I also covet that handle, it looks so fantastic!

Cheers, Harry

Firebow Swagger

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2013
United Kingdom/Essex
If you have a look at my thread "I want to make a knife" it shows how the pin works too, I traced my peasant knife to get the dimensions . So I recommend taking Simon up on his offer of a trace of his one

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE