Freshwater edible fish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cledan99

Apr 24, 2010
mid wales
Carp were brought into this country to eat, Via monks etc.

The main reason they are no longer eaten is the people who sport fish for them, angling clubs spend huge sums buying these fish, which can live for 50+ years, their investment is then payed back by selling tickets to catch em...If someone clonked a large carp and it became known, then there would be big repurcusions. #
Angling in Britain is very much about sustainability, we have many more people wanting to fish, than fish to go aound, hence the stocking of ponds with non native rainbow trout from fish farms. The weird thing is wild brown trout are far tastier, yet it is frowned upon to take, what is a very limited resource.
I have heard that zander,grayling, perch are good table fish, pike would be but for the bones, yet I will never try one due to the above comments.
I do catch and eat trout, and many sea fish, but interestingly the last fish I caught was a 5+lb mullet, and although I'd love to try mullet, I just couldn't kill such a stunning looking fish (prolly 15 years old) without need.
In a true survival situation you would, and should, have a go at most things, but it is very important when dealing with finite resources we tread lightly, and are seen to do so

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Perch - very good eating, probably the best fish we regularly catch
Zander - good
Roach - too boney, flavour ok
Pike - good eating if the right size (too big = tough, to small=too many bones)
Carp Bream - ok eating, good when smoked
Burbot - ok, but ugly :)

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
As above really Ive regularly had Perch, Pike and Zander. Eating perch is frowned aupon but tastes REALLY sweethowever pike and zander are predatory fish and i got told as a kid that if you catch a zander you HAVE to kill it or it will eat every other fish in the lake/river/reservoir, Pike has the consistenc of a really meaty chicken but tastes like Sweet cod in my opinion

all in all good eating!!

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE