Fresh Rosehips: remove the seeds and itchy fluff now or after dried?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yo, I picked a bag of rosehips today. A little late as most were gone or soggy but still enough to have a play with.

Now I did a little reading and one person dries them, blends them up and drives out the itchy fur for tea making. But for making syrup and when boiling from fresh.. do I cut them open and dig out the insides or some other method to stop those fibres getting into the finished product? Or are the fibres only an issue when dried out?

Cheers

Reactions: LarryBass

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
We used to dry them for tea.
Clean, run easy, dry surface
Cut in pieces
Dry well, make sure they do not lump together, go mouldy.

Store very dry or in a freezer.

Seeds, itchy fibers, all.

To make the tea we use a sieve with tiny holes,

When we made jam, after boiling the pods well, we used our food processor, an attachment that separates away the seeds. ( sorry, do not have the English name)
Then added sugar and Pectine and finished it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bet if you held your syrup up to the light you'd see those wee hairs in it Janne :sigh:

I take them out beforehand, but then I'm fussy, and I'm feeding someone who has a dodgy stomach, etc.,

Either way, you definitely don't want to be ingesting the hairs if you can at all help it.

M

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I will have a Rose hip tea tonight and have a look. Never felt anything in the throat. Maybe the neat Vodka drinking has toughened up our systems?
:)
The sieve we use is one with a very fine Nylon mesh. Not one of those tea balls, or S/s meshed ones.
By custom, all our family uses the nylon meshed ones for all teas and infusions.
My sister is now my supplier of dried rosehips and dried funghi.

I drink a lot of Rosehip tea, several times a week, in the evening. Maybe for 55 years..
Sometimes, when we have own, with a Lime slice. .

The only time mother removed the seeds and hairs was when she made pickled rosehips. Cut away the ends, halve, scrape out the inside, pickle in a sweet & sour pickling together with a whole clove. Used an vintage Mocca spoon.
When I was at home, I usually did that scraping.

Pickled Rosehips were a traditional condiment to meat. I imagine that together with sourkraut it was the only Vit C source once the apples have run out?

Of course, if you want to scrape, scrape away!

On my treks, after a bit of frost, I used to pick rosehips, bite a small hole in the skin, and squeeze out the 'puree' and eat that. Very satisfying snack!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE