French Respirator Possibles Bag - a ResponsePak alternative?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
French Respirator Bag - 1960s/70s - £7.95 from here http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=92&products_id=903

IMGP3574.jpg

I bought this last week as a replacement for my Snugpak Response Pak. TBH I did not get on with the ResponsePak - I prefer shoulder carry, hip/waist carry optional rather than the other way round....that and my wife kept on calling the Response Pak a 'fanny-pack' or girl-bag every time she saw me with it...which did not help the masculine bushcrafter image/ego ;)

So, on to the bag in question. Its about the same size as the Response Pak but more vertical than horizontal in layout. It is made of a rather nice, thick but flexible cotton/hemp canvas type material. It has a vinyl/rubber base to it to keep the damp out if it is put on the ground and has a plastic insert in the base that helps it stand nicely upright and not fall over all the time. Stitching is good and 'furniture' solid. It has velcro closures.

It has a woven natural fibre/cotton strap with metal attachments that rotate so it does not get twisted. It also has a pair of belt loops for waist carry and a couple of D-rings on the back which must give it the option to be carried like a mini-backpack.

There are two side compartments. I managed to fit a 600ml oval Sigg in one - so this gives you an approximate size of the side-pockets. It has one main central compartment with three slim pockets/dividers. I found these dividers most useful to keep flatter items such as a map, knife, laplander saw, dc4 stone, a flint striker and a specimen jar or small torch. It also has a pocket in the inside of the lid which I popped a foraging aide-memoire - about the size of a small notebook.

The main compartment is quite deep - which is a mixed blessing because it does lend itself to lots of rummaging around. I part solved this by having a small square lock n lock container in the bottom to keep all my small items that would naturally gravitate to the bottom anyway.

I did an example pack of the kind of items I might take out and need in a grab bag - its not definitive. I would like to point out that the square lock-n-lock was half empty (it has a torch, torch headband, lipsalve, insect repellent, sun cream, water purification tablets and some plasters in it) but would have fitted a bit more. The little highlander 'waterproof' box in picture was empty...as I have not yet decided what to put in it. The round lock n lock box has my charcloth in it. Various other items were compass, millbank bag, forgaging net bag/mossie head-net, cup, honey stove, flint and steel, laplander saw, foraging guide, knife, SAK, light-stick, 10m 550 paracord, spork, a stick of fat-pine, 600ml Oval Sigg, empty tinder pouch.....there was room for more stuff I suppose. But it gives you an idea of its size - very similar (if I recall correctly) to the Response Pak.

Initial impressions are fairly good. Its not waterproof though but probably 'safer' around sparks. It does not have all the external carry options as the Response Pak but I think it looks tidier and could be modded I suppose. It has a good, solid build quality like 'they don't make things like this any more'. Velcro is a mixed blessing but at least it is reliable. The deep central and side pockets are sometimes a little bit of a faff to delve into...but on balance this is a smallish niggle. I would have liked some kind of pull-closure under the lid but I am probably asking quite a bit for something that costs £7.95 for a mint condition possibles bag.

It also makes me look more manly ;)

Here are some piccies

IMGP3580.jpg

IMGP3573.jpg

IMGP3579.jpg

IMGP3575.jpg

IMGP3576.jpg

IMGP3577.jpg

IMGP3578.jpg

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Nice find.

I got my hands on one of these the other day.

262.1.jpg

The picture doesn't do it justice really, it's heavy canvas with a sturdy leather bucket base and leather tabs for fasteners.

I like it as a tool bag but it would probably tick most of the same boxes as the French bag but with only one external pocket.

I found mine in a store but a quick search for Swedish gas bag or respirator case should find it.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I have one of the french respirator bags, and they are good.

But I now prefer czech bread bags.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARMY-SURPLUS-...I-GRADE-1_W0QQitemZ180358546593QQcmdZViewItem

A tad bigger and lighter with two 1L bottle sized sections and 1 combined larger one. I can store all my brew kit, mug, water bottle,FAK, Stove, trangia, repair kit, tinder bag, and other bits and bobs.

Just a personal preferance though.:)

Nice find.

262.1.jpg

The picture doesn't do it justice really, it's heavy canvas with a sturdy leather bucket base and leather tabs for fasteners.

I like it as a tool bag but it would probably tick most of the same boxes as the French bag but with only one external pocket.

I found mine in a store but a quick search for Swedish gas bag or respirator case should find it.

I like that one too. The surplus store here used to carry a lot of the Swdish stuff. I liked that all of the packs were leather bottomed like that, but most of the ones I found here had little wear left in them, That one looks really good.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Nice find.

262.1.jpg

Oooh. I quite like that. I like the french ones because they are 'as new'. But I must also track one of these down and compare.

LBL

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
LBL,

any chance you could give me some sizes as I don't have a response pack to compare it to.

Cheers

JFW

I got my tape measure out and very approximately the outside dimensions are as follows, in cms:

h x w x d = 29 x 22 x 10

but this really consists of
main compartment - 29 x 13 x 10
2 side compartments each - 21 x 4.5 x 10

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
LBL,

Thanks for the measurements, seems to be about the same size as the swedish bag but with a better configuration. Will know when mine arrives.

Cheers

JFW

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I keep looking at something bigger, I really like this but the p*** take opertunities are a bit endless.

9148_big.jpg

Jack Bag

But they all are of a price, that modding them is worth it.

hermitical

Forager
Feb 28, 2010
Bristol
I have one of the french respirator bags, and they are good.

But I now prefer czech bread bags.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARMY-SURPLUS-...I-GRADE-1_W0QQitemZ180358546593QQcmdZViewItem

A tad bigger and lighter with two 1L bottle sized sections and 1 combined larger one. I can store all my brew kit, mug, water bottle,FAK, Stove, trangia, repair kit, tinder bag, and other bits and bobs.

Just a personal preferance though.:)

picked up one of these and inside there is a small press stud pocket that was rusted shut. Inside there is a small black plastic case which contains what I think is some sort of wax in greaseproof paper, just a bit smaller than a box of matches

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE