French leather lined Army Satchel, any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
It looks ok as a game bag/man bag kind of thing Johnny.

I think the leather lining was to help the French Army keep their white flags clean. :D

Last edited:

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hi gang i think the bag was used to carry magazines for the french FM-24/29 machine gun....it's a weapon kind of like a British B.r.e.n gun with the mag on top and was used as a squad automatic weapon well into the 1950's ?....the " belt loops on the back " are used to feed the shoulder strap thru to make a crude pack to carry on the back....it would make a nice haver sack for bushcraft....vince g. 11B Inf..

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I have one of these, it's very robust, quite heavy for its size and I really like it. It will hold plenty of 12 bore cartridges, more than most cartridge bags. I find the loops on the back are a handy-dandy place to carry a Wildlife or Small Forest axe. Only real gripe is the strap attaches with metal snaps which can rattle and clank a bit. I think I got mine from mean & green.

Dave

Andy80F

Jun 30, 2010
Poole, Dorset
I have one of these bags and use it as a casual out and about bag. With no internal dividers items like my camera will be covered and iPad in a sleeve. Not sure I'd trust it in a real heavy downpour as whilst the inside is lined with leather the top flap is not and the canvas would surely leak when sodden. However it is an excellent low key satchel bag and very "likeable" if that sort of thing matters.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE