French knife law?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
I am off to france soon and was wondering what i can carry over there without trouble? Can anybody link me to an english version of there law?
Thanks in a advance
Ben

garethw

Settler
Hi Ben,
Can't find any translations, but, its basically the same as the UK. You are not allowed to carry any fixed or locking blade without justifiable reason. That is any item that can be used as a weapon....theis includes all manner of sharp objects, not just knives. It also includes Opinels, Moras and 100% of bushcraft knives. The penalties are pretty much the same too... stiff!!

However if you are in your car, and are stopped, the police will not and can not search you, unless you are arrested and a 'commission rogatoire' (warrant) is obtained from a judge. But then I guess you'll have got into trouble..LOL!!

The only chance you have of getting stopped is by the doaunes (customs). The can stop and search you. There are frequently road block in the northern part of France. But I've only been stopped twice in 25 years.

When I had my campervan I had a whole draw full of Opinels, and a kitchen knife in it too. Even when stopped by the douane I never got searched. Perhaps a campervan is a justified reason to have knives on board. I carry a Leatherman everywhere (I live in a really rural area) when not in town, strictly its illegal, but here no one will ever challange you unless you get into a fight.

Its pretty much like the UK, carry your knife when you might need it, hiking, camping or fishing. And leave it at the bottom of your pack, in your car the rest of the time, when you go shopping, into towns or when out on the road. You'll be very unlucky to get any problem.

When you are out it in the countryside in France, you so rarely see any gendarmes/police. They rarely stop foreigners unless you're speeding. And the customs guys are mostly looking for contreband, alcohol, cigarettes, drugs or counterfiet merchandise. So if on an initial search nothing is out of the ordinary, you'll be fine.

Common sense is the rule.

cheers
Gareth

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hi Ben,
Can't find any translations, but, its basically the same as the UK. You are not allowed to carry any fixed or locking blade without justifiable reason. That is any item that can be used as a weapon....theis includes all manner of sharp objects, not just knives. It also includes Opinels, Moras and 100% of bushcraft knives. The penalties are pretty much the same too... stiff!!

A Frenchman not allowed to carry an opinel?? Heavens above what's the world coming too? :rolleyes::lmao:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Whenever I'm up in the hills with a group of French friends, communal meals seem to an excuse to display and compare personal knives. Last time, they ranged from a brand new army issue combined survival and KFS, to the knife carried by one aquaintance for 50 years: all were folders, almost all were lockers and all had blades of more than 80mm. When I remarked to one friend that his Opinel would be illegal in England, he gave a Gallic shrug and said, "In France too." It would seem that being prepared to eat in the near future is a justifiable reason - in France this is a constant state. French TV is full of ads showing country people whipping out Opinels to slice a sausage or piece of cheese. Having said all this, I have not carried my treasured sheath knife for years to be on the safe side. I have a mora in my pack and an Old Hickory sheathed kitchen knife in the camper van. In my experience of having spent a lot of time in France, the advice given in the post above is all sound.

dandan

Nov 23, 2007
South West France
I live in France . I carry my small Sebenza Insingo in a pouch on my belt.
Most French men in rural areas carry a knife or multi tool.
I use it most days at home or in the garden ( not this week as it is -8'C outside , and we have had snow for the last 7 days)

Yes we use then when there are meals at the local salle de fetes (village hall), used as you would a table knife in cutting meat , bread or cheese.
No one cares , least of all the Marie !!

I agree with comments above about UK HMRC who have stopped me @ the tunnel in Folkestone in the car many times for routine checks leaving UK. Now I keep it in the car boot before I get searched and I retreive it from the boot whilst crossing the Channnel. Happy Days !!

aquinatis

Jan 5, 2012
France
I am French: all was said in the first answer.

But: no one would blame you with an opinel or a Laguiole knife on you, except maybe at a police control in paris metropolitan.... I live in a small village, and often cary a 30 cm bowie on my belt. In a forest, you can carry what you want.
But there are controls, in cities more often. So in this case do not carry your knives on you, but in a pouch, or in your car. Not on your belt. (well I forget that from time to time, and go to the supermarket wit my bowie....:) )

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
18months I rushed out to the local Bar Tabac, in my haste I forgot a 110mm fixed blade was on my belt, while there two Gendarmes came in for a coffee-calva, I was leaning on the bar when I felt this tap tappety tap on my hip, after a hurried explanation (ahem) I was asked to lock it in the glovebox before I finished the rest of my beer:cool: No carting of to the local station or confiscation took place.

You'll be fine carrying it stowed in a safe place (boot) while travelling and able to wear it/use it without raising eyebrows if your out and about in the countryside. In town, as you probably would anyway, stow it away in the boot again. As said above 12cm bladed Laguioles and Opinels are as common place as garlic here, sensibility as ever is the key.

Jun 23, 2015
Australia
so no chance at all getting a bowie knife though customs in france to be used for camping purposes then. if I can'y I will have to buy something in france, so has any one been able to bring a large knife to be a tool for camping purposes, or is it just ok for you eu residents to do so

what about a tomahawk axe, and a large peg hammer

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Warrigal, the previous posts have misled you.
None of these edged items are 'illegal' (that designation belongs to flick knives, butterfly knives, push daggers and similar items). What is not allowed is carrying them around in a public place 'without good reason'.

For the French, needing a sharp knife to slice up meat or a baguette is good enough reason for carrying a sharp, locking knife.
In England, not so much.
That said, I can't think of a reason why you would 'need' a bowie knife for camping. You aren't going to be fighting off grizzly bears.

Are you coming to europe from Australia? I'd not bother bringing much with you. You will find clothes, knives and outdoor gear far, far cheaper in Europe than it is in Australia. Opinels are cheap and can be bought almost anywhere in france. A small swiss army knife is a useful tool to have when travelling and won't cause raised eyebrows.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Just to clarify the OP's original coming by car meaning not worrying about customs, I think this means not having to worry about the xray scanners on Eurostar, or the security at an airport. Which dramatically effect what you can or can't take with you.

For clarity, on a Eurostar, you can take a knife as long as it complies with section 139. So non locking, folding knife under 3". It gets blurrier when you take tools and things through. I often carry a significant tool kit on the Eurostar, without major issues.

One thing I can however say from experience, when a friend has asked you to bring a nice block of cheddar with you, make sure it doesn't end up in your bag next to a coil of cables, cos that looks really worrying on the xray scanner... But I digress...

J

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
One thing I can however say from experience, when a friend has asked you to bring a nice block of cheddar with you, make sure it doesn't end up in your bag next to a coil of cables, cos that looks really worrying on the xray scanner... But I digress...

J

Nice one. I'll be careful of that when I come home from Asturias next month.

On a similar note, I had my chalk bag and chalk covered climbing shoes confiscated on my way home from Jordan. The two Arabian daggers that were in the same bags made it home though....

Cheers, Michael.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
That said, I can't think of a reason why you would 'need' a bowie knife for camping. You aren't going to be fighting off grizzly bears.

Advice is one thing, but I don't think we should be judging each others choice of knife, some carry a knife, axe & a saw, some just a knife, each to their own. When the firearms bans started over here, different faction of the shooting world, were trying to justify their own shooting, & in doing so treating other factions with scorn.
We don't need the likes of the Daily mail to castigate us, if we are going to do the same to each other.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE