Freezing meat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm really after information from the foodies :D

I don't eat meat, I don't even remember what it tastes like or feels like in the mouth, and I stopped eating meat before we had a freezer big enough to hold meat and not just ice cubes and ice cream.

I have been given venison, etc., before now though that was frozen and stored it in the freezer before I thawed and cooked it for HWMBLT.

To be honest, he'd eat most things, and so long as meat is really well cooked (pink, or rare is a major no-no) as far as he's concerned it's fine.

However, my cousin (an English one, my Aunt married a Kent man during the war) is coming to visit, and there's venison and pigeon and pheasant in the freezer. Are they really all right after they've been frozen ? are they still 'good' food and not just ordinary dinner food ? Basically can I serve this stuff or should I just send HWMBLT to the butcher to buy an AA roast ?

cheers,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Toddy,

All frozen things but especially low fat meat like venison can suffer from freezer burn, where edges and extremities can dry out due to prolonged freezing. If it was wrapped well with the exclusion of air it should be in better nick. You can also camouflage dry bits by careful trimming or making sure enough moisture/fat gets to it when cooking - marinade/stewing or covering in fat/bacon.

When I shot a lot I had three chest freezers full of meat, all had been hung properly and if needs be carefully wrapped and frozen. Always tasted good and you know I like to cook.

On a side note I know how you are with fish, but sea fish if I was freezing I would leave whole, guts and all. Makes it taste fresher on thawing.

What you got and how do you want to cook it?

Colin.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Most wild venison is frozen Mary - too much meat to eat straight away, so provided it was frozen properly (GB has covered that), there is no reason it shouldn't be fine (also assuming it hasn't been frozen for longer than a few months). Pheasant is much like chicken and does not suffer from freezing. Both can tend to the "dry side". I like to cover pheasant in streaky bacon for roasting, venison I like minced with some pork fat, put through the burger press and slung on the barbecue - this will also take care of freezer burn. Redcurrant jelly is excellent with both

Good on you for cooking wild meat!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you both. The venison is sirloin and rump/pope's eye roasts. Wrapped up in freezer paper and bagged in airtight bags. The pheasants are two packs each of a brace of the breasts wrapped up the same way. The pigeons are this year's newbies, big fat cushiedoos, shot, cleaned and frozen about three weeks ago.

The venison was from this Spring and I don't know if it's roe or red, I know it's local and it's not muntjack anyway.

One of my friends made venison lorne sausages from venison shoulder steak with pope's eyes steak fat added to the rusk too. Those who ate them said it was brilliant. I suppose I could do that with it if it's less than ideal.
At least that way HWMBLT will eat it too; rare is really not edible to him.

Goatboy, salmon I wear gloves and cut into 4cm thick steaks. I was taught to waste nothing of a beast but my husband doesn't like soups, sauces or gravies, so the fox does quite well from his leavings :rolleyes:

cheers,
M

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi Toddy,

Looks like your OP has been answered but thought i would mention that if you have pigeon my favourite way to cook them is pan frying the breast with a little butter and garlic.
One you have the breast removed cut it into thin strips but leave the ends connected at one end by about half an inch - it should look like a very odd hand with a few too many fingers.
Get you pan butter and garlic nice and hot and flash fry for about 45 seconds to a minute each side.

They make a really good starter on a bed of thin green beans or asparagus - if your cousin is a foodie he should love it! :)

Hamster

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Toddy,

If you're looking for recipes Hammock Hamster's sounds good (weird aside but the two things wee Snoop wouldn't eat were pigeon and prawns!) and is a classic.

I'd stay classic on the venison and do a classic roast with nice herbs like thyme, rosemary and juniper. Root veg and some game chips (You can cheat and heat up kettle chips in the oven if you like. Or id you want to make something a bit unctuous a venison and oxtail pie with puff pastry Ohhhhh!

Pheasants again roast or just do the breasts, I like them with roasted fennel and a little tarragon white sauce.

Can get more specific if you like but though a couple of ideas would do for now.

ATB,
GB.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thank you both. The venison is sirloin and rump/pope's eye roasts. Wrapped up in freezer paper and bagged in airtight bags. The pheasants are two packs each of a brace of the breasts wrapped up the same way......

Given time I like to first wrap meat in freezer paper, then double wrap over that in aluminum foil before finally placing into the airtight bag. Obviously I don't always get round to doing it properly but when I do, I've been able to eat said meat 2 or more years later with no discernable freezed burn or degradation in quality.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Make some sausages Mary! Last time I was in Aberdeenshire my hosts came up with locally produced sausages and I swear I could eat them for the rest of my life and never want for any other meat.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Hi Mary,

If it's a little dry down to the freazer burn, I would thaw it out and then 24 hours before cooking it give it a small cup of water while it wait's in the fridge. I have done it before with Venison meat ball's that some one froze in a Tupperware box an they turned out fine. You can even add herbs to the water I have been told to help with the flavor but I haven't tried it.

Hope that helps.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
TBH if the venison was shot in the spring, that'll give you more problems than any freezer damage. It will have been feeding on new, green shoots which will likely give the meat a slightly off taste compared to winter kill that had been feeding on the mast crop.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting how many people suggested a "minced" venison - be it meatball, sausage or burger. It can be such a lean meat that I think mincing it and adding in some pork fat really enhances it. Either that or long slow casserole with "red" flavours (port / red wine / cranberry / red currant etc.) stirred into the gravy. I find it benefits from a crispy crunchy counterpoint as well. Roast potatoes, Parsnip rosti etc.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Interesting how many people suggested a "minced" venison - be it meatball, sausage or burger. It can be such a lean meat that I think mincing it and adding in some pork fat really enhances it. Either that or long slow casserole with "red" flavours (port / red wine / cranberry / red currant etc.) stirred into the gravy. I find it benefits from a crispy crunchy counterpoint as well. Roast potatoes, Parsnip rosti etc.

Pork fat is essential if you mince venison, unless your roasting it then you cover it in bacon at least in my experience.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
+1 for parsnip rostis!............I think they're the ideal accompaniment to venison.....Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Pork fat is essential if you mince venison, unless your roasting it then you cover it in bacon at least in my experience.

it's helpful. But only "essential" if it's to be a stand alone meat such as sausage or burgers. If on the other hand it's something with a suce such as a chili or a spaghetti sauce or even a Sloppy Joe, not so much so. But even then a source of fat helps (I just prefer said fat to be butter in those dishes)

One use for a minced venison would be to make a Meatloaf. Mix venison with equal quantities of minced beef, lamb. or pork (preferably at least two of the three choices) for a total of about 2 pounds of meat. Then add a cup or two of either breadcrumbs or oatmeal (raw oatmeat) plus an egg and seasoning to taste. Mix all ingrediants well with hands and form into a loaf; top with sauce (recipe for sauce follows) and bake at 350f until done (about 40 minutes for a normal loaf size)

Sauce recipe:
-about a half cup of catsup
-half cup of tomato sauce
-Tsp of Worcerershire sauce
-about 3 tbsn of brown sugar
Blend all ingredients well

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
it's helpful. But only "essential" if it's to be a stand alone meat such as sausage or burgers. If on the other hand it's something with a suce such as a chili or a spaghetti sauce or even a Sloppt Joe, not so much so. But even then a source of fat helps (I just prefer said fat to be butter in those dishes)

That's true, but I kind of think it as essential because when cooking with venison I tend to accompany it with some form of Pig product as the two just go together.
I will say though venison and wild garlic are PERFECT together without the pig :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE