Free to good home

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monarch

Hi everyone, I have been asked by a distillery if I know anyone who would be interested in some oak staves from their old whisky barrels? They have quite a few so no shortage they also have charcoal dust (I think is the best way to describe it?). The wood is free to anyone who can collect the distillery is in Glasgow just off the M8 at Springburn.
If anyone is interested, pm me.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Making a saddler's calm comes to mind. Barrel staves used to be used traditionally. The term saddler's clam is now commonly mispronounced as Saddler's clamp. The 'clam' part refers to the shape you get when you put two staves opposite each other. To make one, you hinge the staves at the base, hold between your knees and squeeze. The leather is held between the top parts of the staves and allows both hands free for saddle stitching of leather.
I'd have a couple, or even four but I'm too far from Glasgow.

If anyone from the area fancies picking me up a few and hanging on to them until we get to a meet, I'd be over the moon.

Eric

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I can pick up a few tomorrow if Monarch can PM me with details. I'm planning on going to the Middlewood meet, I could pass them on to anyone you know who's going Eric.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I'd second what Eric says and ask if anyone in that neck of the woods could pick me up a couple for making a clam (saves on extra cutting and shaping straight bits :rolleyes: )

I'm sure one way or another we can migrate such bits from Glasgow across to the east coast, then down to Durham, through the secret underground bushcraft resistance movement :p

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
I have contacted the guy at the brewery and he will not be giving away anymore staves until the new year. He did say he would put a dozen aside for me.

sizes 3ft x 3in x 0.5in approx

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE