Free malware program recomendations...........

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
I think my laptop needs a clean but dont have any malware/spyware program so can anyone recomend a good 'free' one?

I downloaded SpyHunter last night,scanned for 4 hours and 537 threats found,attempt to fix/remove...............$39.99:rolleyes:

I wasn't best pleased after waiting 4 hours for the scan to finish:bluThinki

Advice appreciated

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
X2 for Malwarebytes. Really simple and has even picked up things that some of the top brands have missed. I was running Sophos Endpoint Security (same as BAE and NHS), my subscription expired and I ran MWB as a precaution and it picked up several trackers and a key logger!:eek:

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I think my laptop needs a clean but dont have any malware/spyware program so can anyone recomend a good 'free' one?

I downloaded SpyHunter last night,scanned for 4 hours and 537 threats found,attempt to fix/remove...............$39.99:rolleyes:

I wasn't best pleased after waiting 4 hours for the scan to finish:bluThinki

Advice appreciated

Malwarebytes as stated above, also run sbybot search and destroy also free, don't worry to much about the number of threats detected at 537 as most of them will be tracking cookies, not good but will not come to no harm if not slightly intrusive into your browsing habits. If you get some that appear to keep popping up then firstly turn of your windows restore points via the control panel and re scan and get rid of anything and then reboot. If yo can't log into windows as a pop up keep appearing saying you have loads of infections and the only way to get rid is buy the product they offer......DON'T its a scam. just drop me a PM and I will contact you and try to give more help. Top tip download Teamviewer its free for personal use and can let friends get onto your computer and try and fix issues, don't worry its secure and you have to give the person a password to log directly onto your machine. Just very handy when getting other people to help when they don't live down the road. I used to use this when I was an IT tech, but saw the light and gave it all up to drive a van. If I can help please let me know.

cheers

Rick

PS running two anti spyware/malware is fine, but never two antivirus packages at the same time, can cause loads of issues, also never buy antivirus software that you can get for free personal use. most of the free stuff offer paid for upgrade that run all the time but don't bother just use a free antivirus package, and sbybot search and destroy and malwarebytes. Just remember to do a manual scan once a month. and while your there give the hard drive a defrag using defraggler (free) and ccleaner (also free) to clean up old temp and temp internet files etc.

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Malwarebytes as stated above, also run sbybot search and destroy also free, don't worry to much about the number of threats detected at 537 as most of them will be tracking cookies, not good but will not come to no harm if not slightly intrusive into your browsing habits. If you get some that appear to keep popping up then firstly turn of your windows restore points via the control panel and re scan and get rid of anything and then reboot. If yo can't log into windows as a pop up keep appearing saying you have loads of infections and the only way to get rid is buy the product they offer......DON'T its a scam. just drop me a PM and I will contact you and try to give more help. Top tip download Teamviewer its free for personal use and can let friends get onto your computer and try and fix issues, don't worry its secure and you have to give the person a password to log directly onto your machine. Just very handy when getting other people to help when they don't live down the road. I used to use this when I was an IT tech, but saw the light and gave it all up to drive a van. If I can help please let me know.

cheers

Rick

PS running two anti spyware/malware is fine, but never two antivirus packages at the same time, can cause loads of issues, also never buy antivirus software that you can get for free personal use. most of the free stuff offer paid for upgrade that run all the time but don't bother just use a free antivirus package, and sbybot search and destroy and malwarebytes. Just remember to do a manual scan once a month. and while your there give the hard drive a defrag using defraggler (free) and ccleaner (also free) to clean up old temp and temp internet files etc.

Cheers for that Rick,
As we speak im running a malwarebytes full scan:)
I use the free avast antivirus and dont seem to have any problems,easy to use for a novice like myself:D,i do defrag regular so that helps.
Thanks again!

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Alternatively you could download one of the more modern Linux distributions such as Debian or Ubuntu, install it over the top of Windoze, and then more or less forget about malicious software.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I've used Malwarebytes for years but in the last month it has developed a bug which even deleting and re-installing has not cure. It will scan and identify perfectly happily but as soon as you try to remove items it crashes, even in safe mode.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Have you used W7 or W8 on a modern machine ged, its no 'doze' Linux is a pain in the bottom unless your 'into' computers.

malwarebytes is good, spybot was (not used it for ages though) and superantispyware is pretty good too. Also run disk cleanup and defragment your main harddrive.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Sounds like you may have a virus which is defending itself. I had a similar experience a few years ago where I needed to find the offending file manually and delete it that way. Every time I used an AV or Malware program to delete a list of infected files the computer would crash.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Sounds like you may have a virus which is defending itself. I had a similar experience a few years ago where I needed to find the offending file manually and delete it that way. Every time I used an AV or Malware program to delete a list of infected files the computer would crash.

Hi - if that's a response to my post about Malwarebytes, Spybot and Avast both run and operate properly, it's just Malwarebytes which does not and a quick Google identifies it as a known issue with the program

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Yes it was in response to your post Brambles.

Ah OK, that's OK then. So long as you have identified it as a MWB issue then its unlikely to be an issue. To be honest I don't tend to get software to delete en-mass anyway as they have been known before to wrongly identify updaters and even gaming software as Trojans and quarantined them. Not good when you lose valuable gaming data :(

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sometimes its just easier to format and reinstall your operating system. If (as you should) you back up all your data files on other drives its not hard to do if your OS is modern and you have a good internet connection.

For those not computer savvy, whenever you download a programme for installation NEVER do an automatic install especially with freeware/shareware, always choice a manual install and you'll see (hopefully) what the programme would like to dump on your machine and you can say yes or no. My daughter recently downloaded some 3D software on automatic install and it put conduit search bar on her machine which she struggled to get rid of. Took me a couple of minutes to get shot but then I like computers but for some people things like this could mean paying someone to solve the issue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE