frankish axe for bushcraft?

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Iv spotted these when i was looking at viking related stuff on the internet at the weekend. With all the talk recently on the forum with tomahawks i was wondering how useful for general camp chores/bushcraft etc one of these would be?

I know they were orininally used for fighting and throwing but i think it looks pretty cool, and wonder about how useful it would be in the woods.

I may just buy one for the cool factor. But just wanted to canvas fellow members opinions!

Attachments

• !BkQgB_!!mk~$(KGrHqUH-CMEs_0Op8pWBLW1K,i9lg~~_3.jpg
    !BkQgB_!!mk~$(KGrHqUH-CMEs_0Op8pWBLW1K,i9lg~~_3.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 23

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The name of the company selling it is "the costume castle"

The description describes it as a re enactment piece and fully functional.But what is it fully functional in? :)

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I was just looking a little closer at the southernswords page and it says they are made by hanwei.
Just googled it and it is paul chen! That is a strange twist!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I expect they will both perform similar to each other. How well they perform as a working tool i do not know. I suppose it comes down to the handle. One will work better for you. Not 100% convinced on the impact strength of that backwards curved handle. It's like building a dam backwards, it wouldn't take the pressure of the water. I've never used one though, those are just my initial thoughts. Just remember it was designed and built as a throwing axe. The curved handle i expect is to aid that purpose.

Just done that mark they look nice, it has a straight handle on his version:(, though it is a bit cheaper.

Im torn!:(

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Don't go fo an antique finish. I've bought an axe like that for display purposes and antique finish meant very pitted and rusty. Expect to have to change the handle too as it probably won't be fitted properly with a wedge, mor likely to be loose with a pin going through to secure it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE