Framed vs Standard rucksacks, for back problems.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 22, 2013
scotland
Hello.

This is my first post, on this fine site. I have a few back problems, with prolapsed dics. Most times if I look after & not stress the area, its OK. within reason. I am using a Vango 50 liter rucksack, which the back is adjustable. This had the most comfort, will I tried a lot of different makes in the shop.

I have been looking at some of the old rucksacks, with the alu frame on the outside, when I,m wearing the vango, I would always keep the waist bely a little tigher & released the preasure of the upper straps, when needed, to take the stress of the shoulders, that the weight is not pushing down the spine, to the damaged dicks, in the back.

Would I have any gain in comfort, wearing a rucksack with the alu frame to the outside, would this offer a more stable platform, for loading a rucksack, than the vango that I,m using now. I have used daysacks, but with being smaller & no waist belt, they hung all the weight in the the effected area of pain in my back. If its only a short hike or a day out, I will always use the bigger rucksack with a waist belt.

This has me thinking a lot about the outer frame style packs, they have seemed to be out of fashion, here in the uk, but in the states, I have found several firms still making them. Or plenty on ebay uk at times.

I would be greatfull for any advice on the subject, from ones who have used the frame style packs, or what is their down side, to using the newer style of pack that I,m using at the moment.

Thank You.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Hi, welcome to the forum.
The main advantage of an external framed pack is that it keeps the bag away from your back so you have more air flow & less direct contact. From memory they do tend to 'wobble' about from side to side though, which may not be ideal for someone who has back problems. The internal frame packs are far more stable, close hugging & keep the weight closer to your center of gravity so you're not having to fight the thing pulling back all the time like with the external framed ones, which I imagine is less stressful on the back.

Gearpac

Nov 6, 2007
North Wales
A properly adjusted internal framed rucksack will do you better. It has more stable load retention. External frames, allow in my experience, more movement of the load.

If you have a weakness in your back, then you need to keep the load, as close to your back, as you can. The lower lumber support/pad needs to be correctly set for your height.
The distance, between the waist belt/lower lumber support and the attachment point of the straps needs to be set correctly for your length of spine.

Normally, you need to ensure the Centre of Gravity of the pack is closes to the CoG of the carrier, thus lowering the leverage potential of the load in the bag, and reducing the need to lean forward to counter. However, this is where it becomes a balancing act. That assumes your back is a natural lazy s shape, with minor curvature. If you have a pronounced curvature, due to prolapsed or damaged discs, curvature of the spine, etc, then you need to look at how your pack, fits up against your body. If your pack is pulling your body/spine "too" straight, you will be in a permanent positive stress. This will give you a very bad back most likely.

However if your spines neutral position due to injury in a different shape. You may need to look a supplementary support padding to get to fit evening to your body.

Using a waste strap too spread load to hips will help. but the cog of the pack will give the leverage effect. this is what you need to reduce as much as possible.

Jun 27, 2011
Canada
I have a 1970's external frame 'Kilimanjaro' by World famous, made I believe at that time in Korea. I still use it, and recommend it(though not sure about your particular back problem). You can still pick these up on e-bay, or Kijiji on this side of the pond. The cordura nylon is still good, and only one zipper is a bit stiff. Why I like this frame(or most external frames) is that you can load them from mild to wild. My other suggestion for you might be a German mountaineering rucksack. I believe it was 40L. Never, ever had back issues with this one even when way overloaded.
Cheers
Alex

Jun 22, 2013
scotland
Thank you ALL, for your advice. I spent a long while in the shop trying on rucksacks, the Vango was the most comfortable. I came back to try it on several times as I walked around the shop. It felt right each time. The advice above lets me know, that the external frame, will not be the route to go. To fine tune, the way the vango is loaded ect, will a little trial & error, to see what suits the back problems seems to be the logic way to approach. No matter how expensive or cheap the pack is, I,m afraid the back problems will still arise, when you least want it. A sign of getting a little older to, it seems to creep up on you, then bites you on the bottom.

Jan 12, 2011
midlands
Hi, first post for me as well but thought I would respond as I have the exact same problem.(cocodamol,diazepan,amitriptilene etc all good fun).I found for me personally the external frame works better due to having space for my back to move .(I have to stop and arch forward if that makes sense if it gets uncomfortable ) . I found with modern packs they were too close . The most comfortable at present is my tatonka pack frame or my royal marines Bergan with the current us molle shoulder and waist straps.The Alice pack works well for me too but its all personal choice at the end of the day . Glad I've found another frustrated sufferer :) :) . I also own a 500 Enfield ,I assume from your name you do to ?

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Hi, first post for me as well but thought I would respond as I have the exact same problem.(cocodamol,diazepan,amitriptilene etc all good fun).I found for me personally the external frame works better due to having space for my back to move .(I have to stop and arch forward if that makes sense if it gets uncomfortable ) . I found with modern packs they were too close . The most comfortable at present is my tatonka pack frame or my royal marines Bergan with the current us molle shoulder and waist straps.The Alice pack works well for me too but its all personal choice at the end of the day . Glad I've found another frustrated sufferer :) :) . I also own a 500 Enfield ,I assume from your name you do to ?

Also Glad to hear an external frame has a recommendation by a back sufferer. Its my favourite style and i have had a few back problems in the past. So far never caused by and external frame pack. My favourite is a Dragon Supplies copy of the SAS/Para Bergan bought about 1o years ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE