found a tree!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troyka

Forager
i know its a bit lame but i found some hazels yesterday, with the start of some nuts, so looking forward to September to pick a few.. i got hold of a collins gem tree book as my knowledge of trees is worse than i thought..

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Now you have one tree ID comitted to memory it helps to narrow down the ones you dont know, and so on and so on ;)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
i know its a bit lame but i found some hazels yesterday, with the start of some nuts, so looking forward to September to pick a few.. i got hold of a collins gem tree book as my knowledge of trees is worse than i thought..

I just did exactly the same thing - I've been meaning to explore some local woods to find some hazel to make a spindle for a firebow, but haven't had the time. I had to go do some DIY for the mother in law and I was mulling this over on the short walk from our house to hers down an alley. Then I look to my right and spy some hazel nuts. The owner of the garden was out and about in his garage and after a quick chat he's let me coppice a young branch off to make some spindles with.

I'll be returning early autumn to see if there's any nuts left.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I found some cracking hazel bushes yesterday, absolutely laden with nuts (however still very green). Im going to go back early spetmeber and see what the squirrells have left me.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Hazel works very well for the bow- also... Until you do find some Hornbeam ;)

Its mostly dotted around parks and rural industrial estates/roundabouts ect. being used as a decorative tree by landscapers.

al.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Holly makes a very good bearing block, oak, ash possibly (not sure) as does bone if you have a butchers locally... Cherry is a very dense wood too (similar to hornbeam)

If you can find a burl on some birch, even better.

Best not drift off topic LoL!

atb, al.

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
wheree are you, I am an ethnobotanist and study trees for 25 years. if you are very serious, get Botany in a day book, and Wildlife fedration book of Trees of North America, and look on Plants for a future website and rightdown all info in the tree book. Learn plant families instead of single trees. There are many oaks, but all of them d the same thing, some are stronger meds than other oaks that are minor meds, and so on. but once you got an oak, it is all the same. like Magnolia being natures Valium, Willows and aspens, and poplars, as natures Aspirin, Buckeyes natures soap, Birches natures menthol, and so on.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Last week the Hazel nuts were in full swing, half a dozen trees where we camp, also noticed this morning that the first ripe blackberries are out now, looks to be a bumper crop this year near me at least.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was munching on the milky nuts last week :D Fat and creamy, and really tasty. I don't think they'll last much longer, I saw the squirrels rustling through the bushes too :( Oh well.
The brambles really are filling up and this last rain has brought them on so quickly.
I've just finished making the blackcurrant jams, jellies and syrups but if I don't get the rowans, rosehips and brambles now it honestly looks like they'll be over.
Bitter cold winter coming ? Maybe ?

cheers,
Toddy

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
A lot of Hazels on trees around here, but methinks some time before they'll be ready. Brambles are still in flower here, not a sign of a berry! Planning on getting a few plants from Kings or the like soon maybe, 20 quid for 3 plants. I like the idea of a couple of blackcurrants, a couple of red and a couple of white.. :) need more gooseberrys too. Rasps would be a good addition too..:lmao: and somewhere to plant them all... :) :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Save your pennies on the rasps and blackcurrants, and loganberry if you want it ?
I can pot up rooted cuttings for you if you like.
I have Autumn fruiting rasps as well as Summer fruiting ones too :)

cheers,
M

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Ooo, would love them Mary! I can offer a couple of worcester berries which were planted last year to take root, and have done so? :D

Last edited:

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
Fruits you got to try before you die

Chocolate pudding fruit - yes I said Chocolate! it is a persimmon in tropics and taste like chocolate pudding

Miracle fruit - why is it a miracle - take a sour lemon slice it, eat a miracle fruit, and then suck the lemon, it will be so sweet you think it was red velet cake. the ffruit stops the sour receptors on the tongue so all you can taste is the sweetness of the sour lemon.

Jack fruit Seeds - very lima bean/butterbean tasting, very good.

Banana hearts - cut down banana. peel stalk like an onion and eat the tree long heart meat.

American Juneberries/Service berries, taste like wine.

Calmandins - one small size fruit the size of a ping pong ball, will make 1 gallon of limeade - super strong flavor

Jabuticaba fruit - cool tree, fruit grows on the trunk of tree, but taste like sweet grapes.

many more but try these if you can

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE