Found a free online Bush Class, that I wanted to share with you!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Hey there Mr Black, you sound like the one and same I knew on Truways? :) hope you're well and I'll be over to check out these free online classes.

"The kind of man who always thinks that he is right, that his opinions, his pronouncements, are the final word, when once exposed shows nothing there. But a wise man has much to learn without a loss of dignity."

Sophocles

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I am fit to be certified ... and I am enjoying the Bushclass as just a bit of fun [QUOTE; John Fenna]

Now that's healthy :)

It's chucking it down here :sigh: sodden wet, dreich with icy cold sleety rain :rolleyes: and a bitter cold lazy wind, the kind that can't be bothered going around so it just goes through :rolleyes: I've been out in it twice and given up trying to beat the weather.
Today my 'bushcraft' has been confined to clearing the brash piles that cover my desk :eek:
The things I've found though :D :D including a copy of Ellsworth Jaeger's 'Wildwood Wisdom' :cool:

M

Last edited:

Mr.Black

Mar 23, 2009
US
Hey there Mr Black, you sound like the one and same I knew on Truways? :) hope you're well and I'll be over to check out these free online classes.

"The kind of man who always thinks that he is right, that his opinions, his pronouncements, are the final word, when once exposed shows nothing there. But a wise man has much to learn without a loss of dignity."

Sophocles

One the Same Mate Long time No Hear Hope you are well

Mr.Black

Mar 23, 2009
US
Toddy

That Sounds like Bruce Lee's "Success is a Journey, not a Destination" but I like it and can relate to both
thanks
Take care
M/BK

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks for drawing attention to the bushclass. I think it is really good.

I had set myself the general, rather vague aim of 'improve my bushcraft skills' for this year. So whilst I am not particularly interested in the 'certification' in terms of showing it to anyone else I am very interested in the structure of the course and in using it to assess my current level, where I need to improve and assessing if/demonstrating to myself that I am actually improving.

Oct 5, 2009
Missouri
The point of the class is to get people out into the woods and doing skills without charging them a dime. The certificate means nothing except a tangible token of your efforts to improve your skill level, I was never even a fan of providing any certificate at all but the students wanted it. And there is certainly no certification in "Bushcraft", just the BushClass. People really respond to the structured presentation of the course and it has motivated hundreds of people to do what they would not have attempted before. Most of us do the things we enjoy but might pass over the skill that we are either afraid of or just don't want to do. I applaud the students in the course from all over the world for just getting out there and doing, too many people just sit on keyboards all day!

The Basic is easy, Intermediate a bit harder. I know for a fact that the Advanced and Master/Woodsman courses will be difficult and not for the faint of heart or casual bushcrafter. No matter what the skill level there is something for everyone. If you look at the first two class levels there would be something like a total of 25-30 outings with 4 overnight stays. What a great motivator to do what we do!

I do not mean to advertise in any way here, I just wanted to point out the fact that we are not trying to "certify" bushcraft. Bushcraft means many things to many people but the common denominator is that it's about having fun, striving to be better, and getting outdoors.

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I've now had a look at a good selection of the 'basic' videos. I think they are very good. Even on the areas where I thought I knew how to do it there were variations that I hadn't seen before and would like to try.

Looks like a good way of having some fun and learning new skills at the same time. Just don't know how I am going to fit everything in when doing my sjhare of the housework etc!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have already completed Basic - and got my Cert - and have actually done the Basic course TWICE ...just for fun :)
I have also done all the posted Electives and Lessons for the Intermediate that have been posted so far (except the sleep out in a blanket - I am leaving that until it gets a bit warmer...) - I will not get passed on the Hobo fishing kit - despite completeing the rig - as I will not put in a post that I have been out and caught fish with an illegal rig!
The course it great fun and has had me revisitting some skills I have not played with for a while and has also spurred me to get inventive with skills I am happy with :)
Eat my dust you guys who are coming up behind me :) :D
- and have fun!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE