Found a dead deer in a ditch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
It's a few days old so obviously not going to be using the meat... but what could I salvage from it? I'm thinking along the lines of if I was in a survival situation, how could I make the most of the opportunity to gather resources from it?

All I can think of is making cordage from the sinew, and probably use the bones for something but I don't know what...

Any ideas?

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
Hide for warmth?

Is it worth me doing that even now its old? I mean, in a survival situation I'm sure it would, but is it something I should do now? I don't know but I thought that you had to get the hide off fairly quickly and then preserve it if your not gona tan it straight away?

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
Depends how grusome or squeamish you are, and time and space available to get to work!
Lots of bones for making stuff, and skull for your mantlepiece, brain for your tanning mash for the skin etc
Great find.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
I was thinking from a survival viewpoint. It would be pretty smelly now no?

Yeah I know sorry, my original post wasn't very clear! I want to know what I could obtain if I had too in a survival situation, but I also want to try and obtain as much usable stuff as possible now :)

kungaryfu

Jan 3, 2012
dorset
You could skin it (keeping the had attached) wear it as a cape complete with headress, and wait down darkend alleys for someone to pass by, and then jump out at them and frighten the life outta them.....at that point they will prob be so scared that they will give you anything you ask for that will help with your survival situation:lmao:

In all seriousness in a survival situation apart from the obvious uses of antler, hide,and sinew, you could always use the rotten meat as bait for traps and fishing and the bones for making a primative knife, or for rehandling a knife, a. Pivot for a bow drill etc.... You could practice some scrimshaw or make some toggles im sure there are many other uses if you put your mind to it, but i think the main thing will be to gather what you can before it really gets stinky and grusome
Good luck and have fun

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
Cheers for the replys. Unfortuanetly no antlers, but I will try and come up with as many uses for the bones as I can :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If the full hide wasn't useable, then the pieces make a great source of strips of rawhide for fastenings, binding, and possibly improvised bags or containers.

You might be able to boil the hooves for glue, but I have no practical experience of this. Bones make great improvised tools or even sharps, and can be carved if you have a knife. Arrowheads, needles, hide scrapers, cutlery can all be made.

Teeth for jewellery, if you want to go primitive :)

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
If the full hide wasn't useable, then the pieces make a great source of strips of rawhide for fastenings, binding, and possibly improvised bags or containers.

You might be able to boil the hooves for glue, but I have no practical experience of this. Bones make great improvised tools or even sharps, and can be carved if you have a knife. Arrowheads, needles, hide scrapers, cutlery can all be made.

Teeth for jewellery, if you want to go primitive :)

Good ideas! :)

If you boil the lower part of the leg (the part with no meat) long enough the sinews, hide, hoofs etc dissolve, then you end up with hair and bones in a brown liquid, which you can render down into glue, be warned the missus will not be happy if you do this in the house :)

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Is there any risk to health handling a dead deer? If it's road kill I expect not, but what if it died of a dodgy disease? Is it ok to handle if it died of something like infection?

no end of stuff you can do with the bones.
needles. fish hooks. fleshing tool. toggles for pouches.handle material for knives. needle case. old school hobo handline.

hide you can obviously tan. or just make into rawhide.
hooves for neats foot oil. rattles. toddlers play thing (you need an understanding other half for that un)
the skull could make a good decorative piece in camp if you have a permanent spot you can go to.

thats just off top me head after a night shift so I may well of missed stuff.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
You could skin it (keeping the had attached) wear it as a cape complete with headress, and wait down darkend alleys for someone to pass by, and then jump out at them and frighten the life outta them.....at that point they will prob be so scared that they will give you anything you ask for that will help with your survival situation:lmao:

In all seriousness in a survival situation apart from the obvious uses of antler, hide,and sinew, you could always use the rotten meat as bait for traps and fishing and the bones for making a primative knife, or for rehandling a knife, a. Pivot for a bow drill etc.... You could practice some scrimshaw or make some toggles im sure there are many other uses if you put your mind to it, but i think the main thing will be to gather what you can before it really gets stinky and grusome
Good luck and have fun

yeah, skin with the head attached but rather than jumping out at people wear it over your suit for day to day activities, when anyone asks just look at them as if they're stupid and say "what dear hide?"
:D

Jun 20, 2011
Swansea
Melonfish, a good tip with road kill or rotten meat is an old poachers one. Suspend the meat below a small bridge on a river, as it gets fly blown and maggoty the maggots drop into the river groundbaiting it for you. The fish become used to feeding there become much easier to catch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE