Fossil in flint?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Is it normal to find a fossil embedded in flint?
I was under the impression that flint is formed by a very hot vulcanological process so I ruled out the possibility of fossils. I do regularly see other kinds of stones embedded in flint but I was a bit amazed to find a hollow toothlike intrusion that I believe is a fossil of a belemnite (the cavity is filled with flint). Does anyone else have experience with similar findings?

Tom

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
The excact process is still under debate, especially concerning whether the cortex (the outer dense chalk like material) is either a development stage towards flint, a degenerative stage or simply a grey area between the two (chalk and flint).

The process begins with a small cavity or fossil which over time accumulates silica through rain water which is partially charged with carbolic acid. This dissolves the silica of minute fossil remains in the chalk strata (which is what makes chalk in the first place) and carries it until it hits a non-porous object (another fossil or chunk of flint) and deposits the silica.

So its not unheard of to find fossils in flint at all, it may well be the focal point which started the accumulation of silica (flint).

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Ive got a large piece of flint with a perfectly formed sea urchin fossil protruding from it and Ive also found plenty of flints with fossilised impressions in them. I also have a fossiised sea urchin (unattached ) that appears to be flint but I dont want to damage it to find out!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE