Forward Planning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
I usually notice Im shaking after I do something stupid.

This time I noticed I was shaking before I had even admitted to them what was going on.

Luckily they didnt notice at all.

Too excited.

Loaded the vhs radio in Little ones jacket.

Told Biggest to do what Little one tells him. Told Little one to get Biggest to pull them out of any trouble as hes the strongest.

Made sure their jackets were done up, made sure their whistles were on them, their phones were in waterproof bags around their necks, paddles tied on, survival kit in waterproof bags in the boats, buoyancy in th eboats tied on...

Stood there and thought my way through everything.

Decided it was still Go - despite the electric meter...

"Not Upstream. Today you go downstream. Stay out of the way of the boats. Dont hit anything, stay near enough to the shore that if you have a problem, you can easily get out and phone me. If things look bad, call me before they GET worse.

Stay on the right hand side through the Wareham Channel.

I will meet you at the pier.

Take your time, get there safe.

Now repeat what I said..."

They did, so I let them go.

c-dscf1627.jpg

I was still screaming through all the stuff that could go right and wrong in my head.

c-dscf1629.jpg

Well...until they were out of earshot....then it was just all the stuff that could go wrong.

c-dscf1630.jpg

Still.....

Looking on the brightside...

They managed not to hit the first boat.

c-dscf1633.jpg

My canoe looked sort of lost on the trailer on its own.

I think they would have guessed if we hadnt brought it though.

This was to be their adventure and something I had never done, so not one I could go on.

c-dscf1634.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
They were to navigate the river with the tide and the river current.

They were to find the channel between Giggers Island and the shore and go through it without getting stuck in the quicksand like mud.

They were to make their way along 3 miles of shore, passing through the ski boat area, where the lunatics helped turn over Little Ones canoe.

They were to pick the right spot to cross the full flow of the Wareham Channel on the corner, between all the boat traffic, and try to cross the half mile stretch with the tide in full flow, trying to carry them down the harbour and out into the channel.

Then, when they arrive at the pier, some 6 miles from their start....

Make me some hot chocolate to calm my nerves.

Still....

They hadnt sunk, drowned or crashed in the first 1/4 mile.

All I had to do now was drive to the finish and wait.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Like many here I'm still reading this mini-blog (right from back at the beginning when you first posted) and really admire what you're doing. Dad of the year doesnt even touch you and what you do for your kids is truly inspiring. Can't wait to read the next one of your escapades. Hope you keep writing.
ATB
Dan

P.S. Didn't realise you were in Wareham! Was down there the other day camping with my scout group :)

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Dad of the year doesnt even touch you and what you do for your kids is truly inspiring.

what the man said :)

+1 to that :)

You are lucky to live so close to all that water, no point in trying to build a boat/canoe or whatever round here, far too dry!

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Wow....

Speachless...well...almost.

Georann...Thank you.

Next time you are going to Wareham, give me a shout. Love to see you.

Thank you Friend Robbi. I dont know what to say.

Thank you Locum. I will.

Thank you Lee 28.

No point...no water....?

Er....

Have you seen the push along go karts my kids built and play with? Well... thats when the biggest isnt trying to kill himself on a shopping trolley.

Have you seen the Haynes off road buggy / go kart manual?

It shows how to build a gokart from scratch for about £100 - if you are careful.

I think I would look at the Idea of powering one with batteries, so that the green brigade wouldnt screach quite so much about unnecessary noise and pollution....

Er....That would be one per child plus me ;)

This will probably happen for mine some time in the future anyhow.

Have I posted pics of my little ones hut he built in the garden?
Its 8 ft long, 6 ft wide, has a window and a pitched roof and stands on 4 ft legs so we can store our bikes under it?
He built it when he was 7 yrs old.
I just showed him how and supplied the wood and paint and lifted the panels into place so he could screw them on.

I will find the pics if you want to see them, although it could take a while as it was some years ago.

Have you thought of having a go at using an electric scooter motor and trying to build a battery powered bike? A wooden type contraption could be real fun to build and gradually tinker with until it actually works and stays in one piece. Helping the kids learn the skills involved with that build would be interesting.

I would like to have a go at building an electric powered spider type thing too.

I use water simply because its there and its easy. Otherwise it would be contraptions on wasteground somewhere.

If you want more Ideas or more details, please ask.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Its about 12 miles around the piece of water they were paddling.

Drove to the finish and parked up. Took half an hour or so.

Mother wanted to come and congratulate them on arrival.

6 mile paddle.

Tide travelling at about 3mph.

River current, 2 mph on top.

Wind about 5 mph on their backs, giving another 1/2 mph.

Paddling speed, 2 mph, ish.

Total, 7 mph...allow 4 mph to be conservative...

One and a half hours total paddling.

Made myself some hot chocolate with my coke can stove.

40 winks in my hammock.

Struggling a bit as Im horizon watching.

Put my boat in the water and fiddled with my fishing kit.

Mother arrived.

More hot chocolate.

Two hours passed.

Im starting to work though all the things that could have gone wrong.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
2 and a half hours....

Even my mum is starting to look a bit agitated.

She had a monocular telescope thing.

I cold see the last 3 miles or so with it.

No sign.

there were jetskiis, power boats with skiiers, yachts, even the occasional ferry...

No white canoes.

three and a half miles in 2 and a half hours with the tide and current helping...they would have to paddle backwards.

Stomach started to knot.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
At 3 hours, Mother and I agreed.

Time for me to go looking for them.

I headed across the open water, against the tide and wind. Rounded the headland and stopped on the beach.

There....

Way off in the distance, two specks. Not sure if its them....

c-dscf1636.jpg

Then I saw them move. One had a red ended paddle, the other blue.

Huge sigh of relief - with the sudden urge to murder them.

I jumped back on my boat and paddled furiously back, not wanting to be seen.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
They arrived in another hour.

They had that far away look of adventurers who have seen things that their audience hasnt..

We were duly impressed and managed not to mention the panic they had caused.

They told their tale....

No problems leaving the quay area.

c-dscf5727.jpg

Seems a ferry had arrived in the top of the river and caused them some problems. Biggest took on some water and they rafted while he bailed.

No more problems in the river, but it was very beautiful ( I need to see that sometime if it actually impressed my 12 year old!).

Found two hammock trees and stopped for soup.

Passed Giggers Island, where the water was so shallow they had to drag their canoes over it with their hands.

Left Giggers and headed into the Wareham Channel..

c-dscf5728.jpg

Biggest listing after taking on more water - didnt say how.

c-dscf5729.jpg

Found these people tidying up..

c-dscf5731.jpg

Had to stop here as it was a beach they hadnt seen before...

c-dscf5732.jpg

Seems he is resting in the canoe..

c-dscf5733.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
They saw this thing and had to go investigate....

c-dscf5734.jpg

I want one!

c-dscf5735.jpg

c-dscf5736.jpg

Heading back to the boats...

c-dscf5737.jpg

Looks like hes sussed how to take his own pic too lol

c-dscf5740.jpg

I havent been here either.

c-dscf5741.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
That really cant be a comfortable place to sleep...

c-dscf5743.jpg

Hmm... Been here...

c-dscf5744.jpg

Wasnt quite so much water when I last visited.

c-dscf5745.jpg

Just finishing listening to the whole story and congratualting them again!

c-dscf5746.jpg

Packed up, then home for showers and a meal out to celebrate!

c-dscf1640.jpg

Pics of the trip curtesy of Little Idea - photographer extaordinaire!

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
They got to build them, they got to learn how to paddle them, they got to test their limits, they got to practice in them until they were good...

They earned that adventure and the feeling "I did that!"

Im happy with that.

Was well worth the effort.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
mate, i wish there was sound on this forum..........it would be resonating with the sound of applause ! well done to all of you ! :) fantastic ! clap clap clap clap !! LOL :)

absolutely brill :)

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Wow No Idea, plenty to think about there!

Have you seen the push along go karts my kids built and play with? Well... thats when the biggest isnt trying to kill himself on a shopping trolley.

Haven't seen those, but have fancied making one for years ever since seeing them in the 'Beano'

Have you seen the Haynes off road buggy / go kart manual?

It shows how to build a gokart from scratch for about £100 - if you are careful.

I think I would look at the Idea of powering one with batteries, so that the green brigade wouldnt screach quite so much about unnecessary noise and pollution.....

Didn't know they did a manual for that, sounds interesting might have to keep a look out for one! And you are probably right about the batteries, could be an interesting project.

Have you thought of having a go at using an electric scooter motor and trying to build a battery powered bike? A wooden type contraption could be real fun to build and gradually tinker with until it actually works and stays in one piece. Helping the kids learn the skills involved with that build would be interesting.

Now thats just typical, just sold an electric wheel chair complete with working motor/battery and brakes for the wife's grandparents!

I use water simply because its there and its easy. Otherwise it would be contraptions on wasteground somewhere.

Now that makes sense, will have to look at adapting for the environment, and build a 'land boat' :)

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Aww! Thank you friend Robbi !

Thank you Very Wild Bill

Lee 28...

The kids spend ages playing with the pushalong gokarts I encouraged them to build. However, I just spent an hour hunting through my pics and cant find any of them.

Gives me an excuse to take a few more pics tomorrow - as if I need an excuse lol.

Ebay Haynes manual - £12.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BUILD-YOUR-OWN-OFF-ROAD-BUGGY-NEW-HAYNES-MANUAL-H642-/380359331662?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item588f2ecf4e

Land boat....

[video=youtube;BdCI3IQjEnI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdCI3IQjEnI&feature=related[/video]

There is a whole set of vids of home built ones from there.

BTW....I want one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdCI3IQjEnI&feature=related

I would probably want to start with a wooden frame and plywood as my welding is dismal.

Front end of a bmx, two rails each side with another bmx wheel between each all held tog with ply and crosspieces.

Seat, windsurf mast on a post, held with lorry ties.

Sail control using string and washing pulley on roll bar.

Find some way to steer it with my feet.

Berk

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2011
Northants
Just looking at the still from the youtube video, the wheel looks very small, so you may be best off with a small child's bike, to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Push gokarts....

Started building these when I was 10.

Tools...
I had a sharpened screwdriver, a kinked ripsaw, a drill with one 1/4 inch drill bit and a hammer.

Oh...and a sheath knife as they wernt taboo back then.

Timber was usually 2 x 3. Main piece needed to be 6 ins shorter than my legs, so I could reach to go round corners as I used to steer with my feet.

This kart is a Rolls Royce as it actually has a broken school chair as a seat!

c-dscf1699.jpg

c-dscf1700.jpg

Weak point is always the front axle swivel. This one has pulled out.

c-dscf1701.jpg

String stops you falling off so often, plus gives you a way to pull it back up hill.

c-dscf1702.jpg

Feet down for brakes. Never did managed to build a better system, all my efforts actually fell apart.

c-dscf1703.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE