Forgotten maps and humble pie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

raspberryjam

May 15, 2011
scotland
Last weekend my friend and I decided to grab our tents and head off down to Dumfries…a journey that should have taken about an hour and a half…we’ve both made this journey two or three times before, so what could possibly go wrong? .....After a short while, my friend asks where the map is, but unfortunately the map decided to stay at home and make itself comfy on the sofa…but hey it’s fine because I have a wicked sense of direction and very rarely get lost…:rolleyes:

An hour later and we get a little suspicious as to where we are and we both agree that if what we are looking at is the Clyde then it was an awful lot wider than we thought, so wide in fact that we couldn’t even see the other side lol. So we decided to head back to Glasgow and start over and discovered we had in fact been driving off course for about an hour.

We get back on track and continue on again and surprise, surprise, we meet the sea again, however this time I point out that somehow the sea is on the wrong side of the car, so being a couple of geniuses, we deduce that either a). We are on the wrong side of the country or b). We’re driving north instead of South. Becoming a wee bit concerned we decide that as it’s the coast we will inevitably come across a chippy or a pub….somewhere?….lol but there was absolutely nothing in sight so we just kept going, eventually we came across a hotel and decided to go ask for help. Now the reason we were going to Dumfries was for a festival…a hippy festival lol so we’re dressed as a couple of hippies, not only that but we had absolutely no idea where the hell we were and for all we knew we could have been in Oban and about to ask how to get to Dumfries. So we spent about 15 minutes just sitting in the car and laughing about how stupid we looked. We pluck up the courage and go in, passing the smokers stood outside that give us the ‘way hey, hullo ladies’ patter. I nip to the loo while my friend heads in to the bar, when I get to the bar, like flies round s**t, every single person in the room is huddled round my friend and as I approach they all look up and….pin drop…So my friend bursts into a fit of hysterical giggles. Thankfully the barman goes on his iPhone and gets us directions. On again we go…

We arrive at our destination four hours later and the stewards tell us to head straight on….however, apparently I headed straight on...... to the right!! Into Galloway Forest!! After driving for about 20 mins I become concerned by the amount of off roading my car was doing so decide to stop and we then spot the backlights of cars miles away on the horizon. We about turn and head back to find the stewards in hysterics as apparently they had tried running along at the back of my car yelling at us to stop but we were too busy gabbing away to notice.

We go to pitch our tents and of course the rain is bouncing, it’s complete darkness, and, of course, my head lamps that were previously attached to my bag had fallen off and were now lost!! Usually under these circumstances we would grab the nearest bloke and smile sweetly, and et voila... a perfectly constructed tent. However!!! the reason we had been so distracted and got lost was because we had been too busy having a bitch fest about how utterly useless our ex’s had been when it came to camping etc…so rather than eat our words and admit that yep ok sometimes guys do come in handy and maybe we should ask for help we struggled to build the tents with great difficulty. We were so stressed out that we couldn’t even speak to each other for fear of bursting into tears lol. Our tent building was a great success…eventually….but when I stood up after putting in the pegs, to my horror, my long flowing hippy skirt had also been pegged into the ground securely and decided to remain there….thankfully it was dark lol. I don’t think either of us will ever bitch about useless men again tho lol. :eek:

raspberryjam

May 15, 2011
scotland
great story!!

the eden festival is on in near Dumfries next week if you can find your way back lol

Funnily enough we were thinking of maybe going to Eden....I got as far as New Cumnock and phoned me dad for directions, my friend stayed an extra night so I was driving back alone so no distractions lol

Pics or it didn't happen! LOL!

Got lots of next day drunken pics.....still got my skirt with 3 peg holes and a big rip at the waist band, you're welcome to borrow it :cool:

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
Funnily enough we were thinking of maybe going to Eden....I got as far as New Cumnock and phoned me dad for directions, my friend stayed an extra night so I was driving back alone so no distractions lol

Well thats me all packed and ready, i'm off for a few days before eden, might even get out in the hammock! if you do go, we'll have a 5 meter bell tent with hymer motorhome parked up beside it, pop in for a brew!

Tom

raspberryjam

May 15, 2011
scotland
Well thats me all packed and ready, i'm off for a few days before eden, might even get out in the hammock! if you do go, we'll have a 5 meter bell tent with hymer motorhome parked up beside it, pop in for a brew!

Tom

Looks like we are heading up the west coast for the weekend but if we have a last minute change of mind I'll keep my eyes peeled for you, but 2 cracking festivals just 2 weeks apart might be pushing our luck a wee bit....Hope you have a great time tho, would be good to see pics!!!

K

KneeOh

where abouts up the west coast rasperry? what festivals are on?

raspberryjam

May 15, 2011
scotland
where abouts up the west coast rasperry? what festivals are on?

Eden fest is on this weekend in Dumfries I've not been to it but it looks really good...I'm heading up to Applecross this weekend with bikes and looking to throw a tent up somewhere...that's if I manage to get there ok :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE