forging axe and hewing log cabin video

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
OMG, that was fantastic, nice to see those sort of skills havent been lost to power tools. Cant get over how accurate that guy was with chopping. Awesome.

Thanks for shareing

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Great to see!
I would have been more impressed if the lady Blacksmith had shaved her legs with the axe instead of the fellow doing the old "shaves my arm" test....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I saw a proram on TV many years ago about dating buildings by the complexity of their wooden joints...it all started as very simple joints, then got more and more complicated until a point came when it all started simplifying again - now we use giant staples!
I would be interested to know of what era the joint in the video dates from and how long it was used. The only techniues I have otherwise seen for log cabin wall construction is a simple lap joint with caulking to fill in the gaps between the logs.

I saw a proram on TV many years ago about dating buildings by the complexity of their wooden joints...it all started as very simple joints, then got more and more complicated until a point came when it all started simplifying again - now we use giant staples!
I would be interested to know of what era the joint in the video dates from and how long it was used. The only techniues I have otherwise seen for log cabin wall construction is a simple lap joint with caulking to fill in the gaps between the logs.

If anyone is ever in Stockholm, the open air museum at Skansen has a big collection of Scandiavian wooden buildings going back quite a few 100's of years. Very interesting to see the development of tecniques.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
If anyone is ever in Stockholm, the open air museum at Skansen has a big collection of Scandiavian wooden buildings going back quite a few 100's of years. Very interesting to see the development of tecniques.

Skansen is well worth a visit for so many reasons. The open air museum in Oslo is another great one for log buildings and another great one is the museum of wooden architecture at Novgorod.

I know very little about log building but was in touch a while ago with a guy in Norway who is doing a PhD looking at Viking age hewing which uses a "bump cutting" technique very similar to traditional Japanese hewing.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
That was truly amazing, I'd never seen that log work before, and the auger was also a new one for me.

I loved seeing the axe come to life too.

Many thanks for posting.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Just a silly question about this. What sort of joints would you use if making one with 4x4 or even 5x5" post wood?
Would lap joints fixed with pegs be good enough?

Ta

GreyOne

Apr 12, 2009
N Texas
We still have a few pioneer era log cabins at parks and museums here in Texas. Most use a form of angled notch that gives some interlocking effect. They are all quite small to eyes accustomed t modern homes, but they are quite weatherproof, and the insulative effect of the thick log walls was a major factor in the days before central heat and air <g>.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
Just a silly question about this. What sort of joints would you use if making one with 4x4 or even 5x5" post wood?
Would lap joints fixed with pegs be good enough?

Ta

I would use a similar joint to a x halving joint but only cutting 1/4 depth so as to lap by half the thickness of the timber the joints would be secure enough but I'd use dowel pegs at regular intervals along each length to help prevent the timbers warping in or out

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE