forge blower

Mar 14, 2012
uk
what about a set of bellows and some elbow grease?
may be thats the answer! will see what ebay holds in the way of bellows if not i have a very very clever friend who has made sets of bag pipes from scratch including the bellows so could get some commissioned by him!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Me and a mate just used a hairdrier with a pipe upto the forge and another with a gatevalve*, to lessen the blast you just open up the gatevalve and let the extra you don't need out.
That way the hairdrier isn't being restricted so the thermal cut off doesn't activate.

*I'm calling it a gatevalve but it was more like a steel plate a bolt and a nut on the end of a bit of metal pipe.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Powered: hair dryer, vacuum cleaner, leaf blower, car heater fan, hot air gun, bouncy castle fan, dust extractor fan (for a woodworking workshop), 4 stroke petrol engine exhaust (I had a lawnmower sitting there and no lawn!)

non-powered: some foot pumps, bellows (you can buy them or make them yourself, I've got 5 different types I've made over the years), prevailing wind traps, group of people and a bunch of pipes, mother-in-law

or on the other direction, a gas forge with a venturi burner needs no air

lots of ways to do it!

Mar 14, 2012
uk
Powered: hair dryer, vacuum cleaner, leaf blower, car heater fan, hot air gun, bouncy castle fan, dust extractor fan (for a woodworking workshop), 4 stroke petrol engine exhaust (I had a lawnmower sitting there and no lawn!)

non-powered: some foot pumps, bellows (you can buy them or make them yourself, I've got 5 different types I've made over the years), prevailing wind traps, group of people and a bunch of pipes, mother-in-law

lots of ways to do it!

thanks so much plenty of ideas there shall use one of them and hav a plan brewing in my my head now!

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
yeah been considering this as ive seen it on ebay for quite a while may i ask what shug was using it for (a barbeque or a forge or ...)

He was using it on an open fire but said he had used it for BBQ as well, it was a small part of a longer video but I can't for the life of me remember which now. It appeared to be very effective anyway.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
They're designed to shift all the damp air out of a bathroom?

Not always, the flow rates vary a lot between about 5-60 litres/sec depending on room size and use. Kitchen extractors tend to be the most powerful.

Tools for Self Reliance in Crickhowell have a traditional African bellows which are made in the shape of a women's torso with twin pumps on the front. I'll let you guess which bits you have to pump... :rolleyes:

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I've been using an old Bosch hot air gun with no problems at all for a few years now, and it's never cut off no matter which settings I use it on. A good cheap blower in my opinion.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
You don't need hot air, just air. The hairdryer cuts out because the flow is being restricted to the point where the air flow is not sufficient to keep the heating element cool. My first thought would be to dismantle the hairdryer (preuming SWMBO has finished with it) and snip the heating elements out (This is dangerous and probably illegal in some way, so don't do it!). Demographic has it right though, a blower should not be throttled, just diverted. Like the way a vacuum cleaner pipe has a relief valve so that you don't pull the curtains down.

Z

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

lots of ways to do it!

Ever used the japanese box bellows (or whatever it's called), Dave?

Mar 14, 2012
uk
thanks for all the help guys am currently trying to disassemble the hair dryer to remove the heating element but am having trouble as it the screw looks a bit like a "H" any ideas of how to undo this guys? :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Ever used the japanese box bellows (or whatever it's called), Dave?

Nope never gotta around to it, doubt I ever will to be honest. Partly because they are far more involved in the making compared to any European style and partly because close-fitting wooden parts tend to swell and seize in the damp Devon climate ;)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Dave's post was very good.

the only option I can add is a hair drier with a button for a cold setting. Then fix this so it's permanently on, tape it on or what ever.

Hot air guns are ok but they burn out eventually too. I'm not a fan of them personally.

I've just switched back to a hand cranked blower but still need to build a new forge when I get back. I'll be doing a thread about it soon.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE