Forest gardening?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
Ketchup said:
Dear Abbe,

I suggest you google under "no till" or "permaculture", there are thousands of hints there

Beat me to it Mr Chup! :eek:

Permaculture was what popped into my mind when I read your initial post.

This may be of some use, although I am not sure what would be hardy enough 150Km above the artic circle!

http://www.nofa.org/tnf/sp02/supplement/edible.php

Have you thought about raising livestock in your forest? I'm sure ducks would be happy that far north, some breeds lay as well as chickens. If lightly stocked they'd have little impact on the forest floor plus they could act as wandering pest control/fertilisers!

Sounds like a fascinating project, be sure to keep us updated

Ben

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
Also, of possible interest.......

I read once of people managing to grow pinapples in the uk, without glass! They grew them within compost heaps. The microbiological activity of decomposition produces a considerable amount of heat (as can be seen by scenes of steaming sh*it heaps in winter, or felt by sticking your hand in a compost heap)

If you created beds of decomposing material, things like pumpkins and squashes would thrive. I wonder if the heat from the decay would combat these plants otherwise tender nature? I'm sure introducing a bit of manure would do little harm to the forest. Otherwise collecting up natural detritus from the forest might create the same effect, although if from connifers it would only support eracious (acid-loving) plants.

Ben

If you build compost heaps of soaked fresh wood chips (well stacked), of at least 4 cubic meter, you should be able to sustain temperatures inside the heap p to 45-50°C, during months. They must be of BIG volume to be stable. Knew people who tapped hot water from their compost heat to warm nearby flowerbeds.
The technique comes from France. Look for "Jean Pain" compost methods.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi to all!

:You_Rock_ the heating idea really gives me some thinking.
Sounds too cool. I believe that at least using the compost I could stretch out the gardening time quite a bit here. Does anyone now about the new kind off out doors bio toilets. I will have to fix an outhouse. I heard that some of the new comost toilets break down the human waste into compost. What do you think is it possible to use the human wast on a compost pile too. As I will be about 20 km to the next village and 60 km to the next town in the bush. I hope to use everything I can there. I dont want to produce to much waste? Has anyone knowleadge about how to use the best human waste. I think at times there can be up to 10 people in my camp and there will be quite a collection. :rolleyes:
How did they do in the old days on the farms? Did they used human waste or only that of the cows and horses?

Cheers
Abbe

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
There was a thread a while a while ago about something similar. I think it was called treebogs.

Some time ago they didn't have any system for going to the loo at all to my knowledge. I remember that my grandfather told me that they used to take a sh** whereever they felt for it. :p

Sounds like an excellent location you have found.

Torjus Gaaren

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
Abbe,
you might be interested in this book:
How to make a Forest Garden by Patrick Whitefield
I've got it and am slowly turning part of my back garden into a Forest Garden.
This relates to other posts on Permaculture and No Dig gardening.

Patrick has also written a new book on permaculture in cool temerate regions - probably a bit south of you though.
cheers
Richard

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
benjamin.oneill said:
Abbe,

What are you planning on building up in the forest there? It sounds like a fascinating project.

Ben

I am going to lease about 80 to 100 ha of forest. That is if everything goes well.
For half a year now I am trying to get the forest chief to sign the papers.
As I am a little player up here. The big companies logging the woods are the big boys. I have to wait and to wait. Now my date is the 26.4. where we both want to drive into the woods to check out my spot. My spot will be between two small lakes and a small moutain to the south. Here are some pictures:
snow_hunt04.jpg

snow_hunt03.jpg

snow_hunt.jpg

This will be my playground to experiement with a simple and enviormental friendly living.

PS Fluxus, thanks for the book tip that is exactly what I envision. I hope only that I can adapt some of the knowleadge to the very cold climate. I was talking to people here what is possible to get from the ground and all the root veg. If I would build a glass house they even have tomatos and salats here.

cheers
Abbe

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
torjusg said:
Just a little curious here Abbe. How did you manage to talk your wife into moving to such a place? Seems like you may have something to teach me... :D

Torjus Gaaren

No, its my playground. I go there and experiment, on the weekends or over the summer the family will be with me in the woods and I am bounching back and forth.
First plan is to test how life in a tipi is summer and winter conditions.
Then later I want to build a small cabin. In the summer I am planning to experiment with forest farming and handcrafting. I dont think it is possible for me to get my wife there. But maybe step by step technic is good. First weekends leading to extended weekends, leading to a month in summer..... LOL you see my point LOL

Ahh another Idea, give her Jared Diamonds book "Collapse". I am just reading the book and tell my wife about Oil Peak and stuff. :D

cheers
Abbe

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
Abbe,

That looks amazing! If you ever need a volunteer to help in your project you I'd be over there in a flash, not sure how much use I'd be :rolleyes:

I wish you every luck in securing the lease. Its a shame that in the language of today money speaks loudest and you have to compete with the big logging firms. It seems pretty obvious that in terms of social benefit, your project would out do the loggers substantially....

Ben

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
benjamin.oneill said:
Abbe,

That looks amazing! If you ever need a volunteer to help in your project you I'd be over there in a flash, not sure how much use I'd be :rolleyes:

I wish you every luck in securing the lease. Its a shame that in the language of today money speaks loudest and you have to compete with the big logging firms. It seems pretty obvious that in terms of social benefit, your project would out do the loggers substantially....

Ben

Well, I might come back to your offer! There where always lots of hands needed to work hard for nothing on the farms. :eek: :D

cheers
Abbe

jem seeley

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2004
framlingham suffolk
Have a look at the Permaculture Magazines site www.permaculture.co.uk .There's quite a few books on the subject dealing with growing food using the ecological principles of a natural woodland.Not sure how useful it will be for where you are but it's a good starting point.There might even be some people already doing it your way!

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
The pilgrim fathers were taught a form of agriculture by the local population.
Earth was piled in a low mound in which a fish was buried and seeds planted.
A squash seed, an indian corn seed and a bean seed. The idea being that the squash occupied the low level, the corn the high level and the bean grew using the corn for support and occupied the mid level. Fairly minimal impact I think.

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
Abbe Osram said:
Well, I might come back to your offer! There where always lots of hands needed to work hard for nothing on the farms. :eek: :D

cheers
Abbe

You might well be on if you needed the help! I finish university this summer and would love to be involved in something like that. Also, visiting northern sweden is high up on my must-do list!

Ben

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Well done Fluxus - I was thinking of Ben Law too. Search on Amazon for him.

He's the coppicer who was allowed to build an amazing house in the woods he works, documented on Grand Designs.

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
Hi Abbe,

Firtly good luck with the venture.

I live in Ireland and have been growing our own veg for some 10 years. My plot has grown to 25m by 30m and it has become soo much work. I have been searching for an easier way to grow stuff as the weeds here are a real pest what with all our wet weather.

I have been looking at Biointensive gardening (try a Google search) another thing might interest you is 'seedballs' (try another search) this one took place in forest conditions!

Best Regards :)

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Hi Abbe !! Fantastic stuff and there is information out there on the subject although you do have to dig for it ! I would recommend 'The woodland way-a permaculture approach to sustainable woodland management' by Ben law, it has a great section on food from the forest and this leads me onto a man called 'Rober Hart' who was a pioneer of temperate forest gardening.

Your climate however is going to be a new testing ground for this sort of approach so I wish you well !! Also doa google searcg for 'Plants for a future' they are a cornish ( sw UK ) charity/organisation that have some awesome articles and a huge plant database. You may find there article on annual vs perennial and the troubles of monoculture very interesting.

Boooshpig

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE