Forced Potato Patina on an Albert Wright and Sons Two Bolster Senator

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I had heard old timers used to patina their knives by lopping the bottom off a potato (so it can stand upright) and leaving their knife sticking into it vertically overnight. I couldn't find anything conclusive on the forum about Potato Patina, so I had a bash.

My knife has gone from this:

DSCF6379.jpg

to this:

DSCF6426.jpg

Which I am reasonably pleased with.

It no longer looks like Sherlock Holmes' knife, which is a pity. But now it looks like something the Mad Trapper of Rat River would carry - which I am pleased about ;)

I had already scratched the blade up with use and slightly ham fisted sharpening. The knife could not pull off the shiny look any more - so I'd call this an improvement.

The patina-ing process has not dulled the blade at all. It went into the potato hair popping sharp, and it still is.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one. If you want to go for a more uniform darkness put some English mustard on there, leave for a few hours, wipe it off and repeat until you're happy. A couple days and you'll have a nice even patina going. Not many knives suit shiny in my opinion so I really like patinas. Lovely folder you've got there, I'm sure I commented on it a couple weeks back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE