The other A Wright & Sons knife...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I noticed this the other day whilst perusing t'interweb

804_BROAD_-_LEATHER_2_large.jpg

Apparently made by A. Wright & Son Ltd in Sheffield.

As a Sheffield lad, I'm always a bit confused as to why there aren't a greater number of decent Sheffield-made fixed-blade knives at affordable prices (I know about the fantastic custom makers in Sheffield, but they're out of my price bracket at the moment). So when I saw this for £35 (on offer, admittedly) I had to try one out, and it's on order right now.

When I was a kid, everyone's dad had something like this in his shed for camping and garden duty. We used to "borrow" them when we went exploring down the wilds of the Mayfield valley or Rivelin :). My first "proper" knife was a clip-point 4" bowie by Joseph Rodgers, with a similar shaped handle in stag horn. I loved that knife.

So we'll wait and see, it should arrive next week. I really hope that it performs on a par with the Mora knives which are in a similar price bracket - if the Scandinavians can do it, why can't we?

I'll do a review when I've had it for a bit.

Cheers

Rat

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
To me as a boy that was "The" sheath knife.

and me.....gives me a bit of a warm feeling!!

Think I might want another!

When I was a kid it was either the above or the 'William !?!?!?!? I cut my way'

That was back in the day when. as a kid you could carry a sheath knife without being considered a thug....but then the thought of using it as a weapon was the last thing on your mind...happy days.............:)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Had this one for just over fifty years:

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/dscf3835.jpg

Used to call it the 'Scout knife'.

Blade marked "Bellanco Sheffield".

My parents bought it for me when I joined the Cub Scouts at about seven or eight years old. Probably from Wakefields Army Stores in Alfreton, but I can't be sure.

Somewhere around here there's a photo of me in my uniform around at about that age. I was probably wearing the knife on my belt, I usually did.

How times change.

Oh -- it's a 'user'. :)

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Had this one for just over fifty years:

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/dscf3835.jpg

Used to call it the 'Scout knife'.

Blade marked "Bellanco Sheffield".

My parents bought it for me when I joined the Cub Scouts at about seven or eight years old. Probably from Wakefields Army Stores in Alfreton, but I can't be sure.

Somewhere around here there's a photo of me in my uniform around at about that age. I was probably wearing the knife on my belt, I usually did.

How times change.

Oh -- it's a 'user'. :)

Nice...................:)

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley

That's the spitting image of the one I had too. I remember buying it from Blacks in Sheffield when I was about 10 years old - I borrowed my dad's bike (a "racer" of course), rode down into town, left the bike outside the shop, looked the shop assistant right in the eye and said in nervous, squeaky voice "that one at the back please". £18.75 in small change later, I was leaving the shop with it securely wrapped in a brown paper bag. Stuffed it in the saddle bag, rode back home. Happy days :D

I'm not sure I'd be happy for my eldest son (currently 8 years old) to try to repeat this adventure when he hits 10...

Rat

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
That's the spitting image of the one I had too. ... £18.75 ...

£18.75?! :yikes: I don't think mine could have cost much more than thirty shillings! How times have changed!

I'm not sure I'd be happy for my eldest son (currently 8 years old) to try to repeat this adventure when he hits 10...

They probably wouldn't serve him. :(

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
I purchased one of the stacked leather ones after seeing this thread and whilst the price is good the QC is terrible. Mine arrived with dark marks all over the blade that I could not wipe off and the pommel was dented and scratched. I have sent it staright back for a replacement. I could also see gaps between the blade and guard. Provided you can get a decent one then for the money they are a really lovely looking knife but I suspect even on the next one I may have to fill in gaps around the guard with epoxy to stop the damp getting in and rusting inside without you knowing it.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I can't comment as mine hasn't turned up yet :(

Like I said, as a Sheffield lad I'm hoping that a Sheffield-made knife won't be a disappointment, but I'll give you a warts-and-all review whatever.

Rat

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I purchased one of the stacked leather ones after seeing this thread and whilst the price is good the QC is terrible. Mine arrived with dark marks all over the blade that I could not wipe off and the pommel was dented and scratched. I have sent it staright back for a replacement. I could also see gaps between the blade and guard. Provided you can get a decent one then for the money they are a really lovely looking knife but I suspect even on the next one I may have to fill in gaps around the guard with epoxy to stop the damp getting in and rusting inside without you knowing it.

That is too sad. Hope you get a good one but QC like that does not bode well. If you like the design and you don't mind an import, Kabar makes a very similar knife and the quality and price are very nice. The knife is not so shiny though.

That's not the sheath it comes with. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE