Foraging Basket and a weird one

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Here is some baskets that I've been making. I'm absolutely loving getting to grips with basketry and can't wait to give coil baskets a go soon.

foragingbasketshoppingb.jpg

The one below is a weird one though. I'm was going to attach a length of rope to it so it could be hung on a hook or something. I don't have any non-grotty rope though. I can only think of crocheting something quite thick?!?!? Any ideas gratefully received!!!

largelittlethings.jpg

:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Those are looking superb Hen, you've obviously got the nack of it

What about putting a hand sized handle on the bottom one and use it for collect berries etc ?

:) thanks shewie xx That bottom one is a funny shape. It's got a flat bum and is made to go against the wall, so you can only comfortably get your hand in through the top of it when it's on it's side. At the moment it's nailed to the wall :eek: but I really want it to hang. grumble. :)

I'd make some cordage if I could, never done it before though. Is it a good time of year for that?

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Hen those are really lovely, I have just spent 2 hours with my daughter going round garden centres looking for a mothers day present for my good lady. We have just got an allotment and she is desperate for a traditional garden trug. the cheeky question is could you make one and if so how much? oh and I dont need if for tomorrow. lol

regards

Andy

They are awesome Hen. Fantastic. Have you been making baskets for a while or just picked it up? I must admit I'fd love to be able to make some uip as good as that. Did you buy the raw material in or gather/grow it yourself?

I'm curious as i'd love to learn and bought a basket book recently discussed on here.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Straw plait ?
Not sure how to do it, saw it on that Victorian Farm thing on the box

The only plaiting I can do is four-to-round (useful for leather ropes ) but I keep screwing flat plaits up (mind wonders )

They are awesome Hen. Fantastic. Have you been making baskets for a while or just picked it up? I must admit I'fd love to be able to make some uip as good as that. Did you buy the raw material in or gather/grow it yourself?

I'm curious as i'd love to learn and bought a basket book recently discussed on here.

I've picked it up from books. I had a go a year ago and loved it. Then the end of last year I had another go in earnest and LOVED it. Haven't stopped weaving since!

Went on a weekend course with a woman called Jenny Pearce. Made a basket I'd already learned to make from a book - but - the little tips I picked up from her I'd have taken years to get to myself!

I used to grow willow but I'm not at the moment. I forage and buy it from a local producer in somerset. :)

I plan to go on more courses run by people who's baskets I love. I've been advised, by a basket maker I've stalked online, to just make loads of the same basket. Until I've made a couple of 'perfect' ones.

Good luck!

Those are great Hen how long does it take to make something like that ?

The little basket took me a few hours as it was the first time I've ever done those techniques. The small foraging basket took me about 6 hours and the larger one took me 8 hours. I;m only just starting out in basketry though so I hope to be able to make a foraging basket in 4 hours in a few years!!! That's if my thumbs hold out that long!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE