Foraged teas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I wish I could tell you- I didn't find it locally and we don't really get it round here as far as I know, I didn't really think too hard about the smell before tasting either, but it was a pleasant brew

Reactions: SaraR

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Apparently Myrica gale was used to spice up beer and other things for some while, so it might not be acutely toxic except when having too much, the story goes that Vikings used it before battle to go berserk better. :geek:

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Reading up about it a bit and it seems it was used (and still is by a few quirky brewers) as a hop substitute, many are saying it is quite potent stuff though advocating to go easy on the amount used. I think I used around 10 dried leaves in a standard tea mug, felt like I could have gone more, but fresh might be more potent.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I'm loving the idea of gorse flower tea - will definitely give that a go.
I'm a big advocate of nettles, and regularly have a mug of nettle tea. But I've never thought of combining it with dandelion. I'll certainly give that a go as well.
Looking forward to trying both.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
20211231_165029.jpg

I tried making tea from dried rosehips today, very mild flavour can't say I was that impressed. I'll try steeping for over 10 mins next time and dosing up a little- I used probably 12 hips for around a 5 min steep.

I managed to forage a load of gorse flowers so im going to try and dry them out for tea. I'll report back with results!

20220109_145139.jpg

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Had another crack at the rosehip tea, used around 20 hips and still not a lot of flavour, they hardly rehydrate in the brew even after 15 mins or so. One website said to use 5 hips per cup. Can't say I recommend it.

Maybe fresh whole hips will work better?

I also tried dehydrated gorse flower and pine needle tea, which is a winner. Coconut and piney citrus!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Too early yet here but several people go to considerable trouble to harvest wild raspberry shoot tips to dry for tea. I am no fan of any tea but for a hot drink, it's OK.
We have forest understories of Vaccinium sp. blueberries, one place as far as you can see and knee deep. Never tried those.

I grow grapes (Vitus riparia var. 'Valiant'. Like any other grapes, the leaves taste like the fruit. Something to try.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
1st go at nettle tea yesterday- makes for a very palatable brew, not bitter, doesn't have that pea pod taste, but holds its own. A solid brew.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Apparently Myrica gale was used to spice up beer and other things for some while, so it might not be acutely toxic except when having too much, the story goes that Vikings used it before battle to go berserk better. :geek:
I was listening to Paul Kirtley talk to the bloke who wrote the forgoer's handbook and both of them were saying to check everything to make sure you are listening to the most up to date information about if something is poisonous or toxic.
There is apprently a big problem with people looking at old books and taking them as gospel when modern science has gone wait a minute these contain something toxic.

Reactions: Suffolkrafter

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I was listening to Paul Kirtley talk to the bloke who wrote the forgoer's handbook and both of them were saying to check everything to make sure you are listening to the most up to date information about if something is poisonous or toxic.
There is apprently a big problem with people looking at old books and taking them as gospel when modern science has gone wait a minute these contain something toxic.
Whereas the advice is sound, modern chemical analysis has identified ‘toxins’ in many common foodstuffs; volume of consumption is the thing to watch.

There are many things we consume every day that have the capacity to make you ill:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE