For the kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I tried my hand at making full tang knives for a change. The shaping is much fun, the sanding...not so much. This was to be a trial run. Not quick and dirty, but in that vicinity.

They are made out of UHB20C/1095 (I had my neighbour heat treat them)

Handles are reindeer and what I beleive is walnut. Vulcan fibre liners. Three finger grip for me, perfect for the kids

Greger

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Great job! Good you follow the old traditions and teach the young ones knife craft.

Just have a couple of plasters and Dumle kola at hand!

:)

A part of me want them to cut themselves...not deep or anything, but to a respect-promoting degree. Dumle is a given :)

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I think the satisfaction of sharpening a knife, is lost on them at present...carving, on the other hand, is a completely different beast :)

They turned seven a month ago.

Greger

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
How old is old enough? I realize it must have a lot to do with your adult judgement of the kid's common sense and hand-eye coordination.
Here, First Nations kids with any artistic talent are usually apprenticed to an uncle or grandparent between 8 and 10 yrs of age.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Well....I don't know about artistic talent, as such, but they do have a keen interest in carving (perhaps because of the novelty and perceived danger).

They are only allowed to use sharps with an adult close by....not like when I was a kid....well, times changes

Greger

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Carving with adult supervision is OK.
I won't mention the subject with my twin grandsons (4) for several years yet.
We might mess with bars of soap and dull edges some day soon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE