For Sale Ray Mears 25th Anniversary knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

storah

Aug 19, 2009
Cheshire
For Sale Ray Mears 25th Anniversary knife

I bought this knife last year unfortunately it has to go is the Ray Mears 25th Anniversary knife, it is unused and sat in the box since it arrive it has Never been honed or used. It is in the exact same condition as the day it arrived. It breaks my heart to have to sell this knife.

Pictures are not great, unfortunately my digital camera has packed in. So I had to use my mobile.

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/storah/Boxopen.jpg
http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/storah/cert.jpg
http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/storah/Box-1.jpg
http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/storah/kands.jpg
http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/storah/kands2.jpg

Priced at £475 or near offer and includes postage within the UK which will be by special delivery so it’ll be fully insured during transit.

You are welcome to collect the item in person if you wish. I’m in Cheshire.

If you have any questions please ask.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Ah' a new member selling a Ray Mears knife!

Are you an Indiana Jones fan?
happy0054.gif

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Not to cast nasturtiums, but I'd probably want better pics of the knife itself if I was going to shell out the better part of 5 tons...

Good luck with the sale :D

Rat

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Without wanting to bog down the tread and incurring Tony's wrath! (Mods feel free to remove my posting if it's out of place).

kands2.jpg

Is the anterior pin partly covered by some stain/polish of some sort there?

Cheers,
Steve

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Well I wasn't implying anything in particular... but I was slightly surprised that there appears to be tear-out around the pin too. It could just be an artifact in the photo.

I have never owned a Woodlore knife so I can't say if that is in keeping with their build quality. I would be slightly bummed if I did that to one I was making though. I would find that surprising in a >£400 knife.

Cheers,
Steve

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Is there something wrong with the grind on the blade as well? Difficult to tell from bad photo's, but the pins don't look right to me either.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
The whole photo is a mirror image if you look at the writing underneath. Doesnt really mean there is reason to be suspicious, the owner probably loaded it into a photo editor first and forgot or something.

storah

Aug 19, 2009
Cheshire
Hi guys,

I'm borrowing someones camera soon so should hopefully be able to get some descent pictures uploaded for you. These should answer your questions.

Thanks

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The heavy staining applied to the scales does cover the pins on the 25th Woodlore. JP uses the traditional heavy pine tar application to protect the wood after it has been riveted to the blade, the excess wears off in use and the handle polishes to a very fine finish that brings out the pattern. Nowt to be worried about at all, its a natural alternative to stabalised wood. The grind is fine. In fact there is nothing different in these pictures taht I havn't seen in any other anniversary knife, and I've had three. Only used one though and sold the other two for muchos profit :)

Remember this is not an Alan Wood made Woodlore, but a forged blade from Julius Petterson. The handle fit and finish is good but not what you would expect from AW, the value is in the edition size, and collectibility and I doubt many would be used. If Alan Wood had been involved in this 25th Anni project, the knife would have had a huge retail price and greatginormousblinkin collector price.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The heavy staining applied to the scales does cover the pins on the 25th Woodlore. JP uses the traditional heavy pine tar application to protect the wood after it has been riveted to the blade, the excess wears off in use and the handle polishes to a very fine finish that brings out the pattern. Nowt to be worried about at all, its a natural alternative to stabalised wood.

Thanks for clearing that up Jonathan, having never handled one in the flesh I just expected them to be shipped all polished up and ready for the draw.

I couldn't afford it anyway, that's divorce material in my house.

Good luck with the sale Storah

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Good to see better images now posted and clears all these questions up, the grind looks better as well now!.

Good luck with the sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE