For any western fans.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Confussed... I have just posted using quote feature and my post is way up there... and the times of reply seem to be all over the place.
I going to copy and paste my reply so it slots in to the bottom where it should be. so it tie's in with Southey's reply.

(Dont mean to Hijack this thread But..)
Er maybe you didnt realise.. you can unlock the region code on loads of dvd players by using the engineers settings (a hidden menu activated by use of the remote) . Many can be found at dvdreviewer.co.uk under the "region hack"
I purchased a region 1 dvd (meant for the US) without realising (we are region 2) then did alot of searching so I could watch it. mines now set to region free.

That's good to know. I'm not necessarily sure "region codes" are what I was talking about though. UK televisions (VCRs, DVDs,etc.) are set up for PAL while US ones are NTSC. A whole different broadcasting format. Is that the same as "region codes?"

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Personally I've enjoyed quite a few of the newer ones even more than the old ones. IMHO "Unforgiven" is the greatest Western I've seen. Other ones of note were Dances with Wolves, Lonesome Dove and Tombstone.

I liked some of these too but they're almost 2 decades old now. Not sure I'd call them "new." Another good one from this time frame is, Quiggley Down Under.

They definitely aren't old enough to fit the classics though.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
That's good to know. I'm not necessarily sure "region codes" are what I was talking about though. UK televisions (VCRs, DVDs,etc.) are set up for PAL while US ones are NTSC. A whole different broadcasting format. Is that the same as "region codes?"

I hear what your saying mate, even so Dvd Players and Tv's have both PAL or NTSC settings in the normal menu's.
From memory I cant recall if I had to set those to play my region 1 disc I have not watched it in ages.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Not seen a western in the cinema since True Grit. The re-make last year. As someone who has seen the John Wayne version many times I was kind of left blank. I really couldn't work out if it was good or not. Sounds daft but it was an entertaining film and actually rather good, just so far behind the original IMHO that I just couldn't decide if I really enjoyed it.

I like westerns but somehow feel the genre has died and it is very rare indeed that anyone makes them anywhere close to the old greats. Might be unfair but how many truly good westerns can you remember in the last 10 years? I liked a few but not a classic by long way. I just hope that this is going to be good or it will put me off them more than ever as a genre.

Thanks for posting the trailer Bushwhacker I will have to watch it later when I get the chance (at work and too many people around).

For the most part I'd agree but there are films like Open Range that are under rated but good. I'm not the biggest fan of Kevin Costner but it tells the pertinent story of barbed wire changing the dynamics of ranching squeezing out the little guy. The gun fights are close range and fairly clumsy as they would have been and it's a far from complicated story line. Just a few guys sticking to their guns and beliefs in the face of death. Good stuff.

3:10 to Yuma was a decent remake but a bit soppy compared to the original. I enjoyed True Grit as well, even the original was based on a novel so there's not a lot of fresh ideas in this genre. As I said I like the bad ones as well as the good films, I just like westerns full stop. I just watched Rio Bravo last night, that's always good for a laugh. If only Stumpy was in every Western!

You sure this is for real ? ......looks like one of those amateur parody vids on youtube.

The Scarlet Worm was done with practically no budget but in my mind there lies the beauty. The fact that it's being released on Blu Ray means it must be a decent film. Fingers crossed!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
The Scarlet Worm was done with practically no budget but in my mind there lies the beauty. The fact that it's being released on Blu Ray means it must be a decent film. Fingers crossed!

Budgets count for nought.
This one here is the best film I've ever seen and it was done on a shoestring.
[video=youtube;fFi6FrAV9SE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFi6FrAV9SE[/video]

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Budgets count for nought.
This one here is the best film I've ever seen and it was done on a shoestring.
[video=youtube;fFi6FrAV9SE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFi6FrAV9SE[/video]

I'm with you there, Dead Man's Shoes is pure genius. Definately the best retribution film I've seen. The only thing that let me down was it seemed to finish too soon as I could have watched Paddy top people for hours on end! He plays a VERY convincing madman!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...The Scarlet Worm was done with practically no budget but in my mind there lies the beauty. The fact that it's being released on Blu Ray means it must be a decent film. Fingers crossed!

Born Losers and Billy Jack were basically done by a bunch of college students with a few professional actors. and a start-up production company.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE