Food! robust bite-size savory hiking food ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
I'm taking part in a 50 mile overnight orienteering exercise. I've done it a few times before and it's quite tough. One year we took barely any food and it was miserable. Last time we took far too much, which was prefeable but we took the wrong sort of stuff - large pasties, loads of haribo etc.

What we craved was bite-size savory food we could transfer from our main rucksacks into our pockets a few items at a time, and then snack on the hoof.

I was thinking of small sausage-rolls, pork pies. That kind of thing. Has anyone got any other suiggestions (preferably not all pork-based!)

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Bannock is always an option quick to cook and nice cold. Or make up some old school pemmicken (probably not spelled like that)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Chicken wraps... you can add whatever spices (or not) that you want and they can be folded into any shape to fit the pockets you have.

Bite size chocolate bars... type you have at kid's parties.

Peanuts/Almonds.

Flask of soup?

Tin of sardines... often take those with me when I'm walking... easy and tasty snack (although it does smell a bit in your pack at the end of the walk)

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
ALDI or LIDL do Frikadeller's basically cooked pork burgers. They can be eaten hot or cold and are v tasty. Even better is to make them yourself.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Wow! Thanks for so many suggestions. Some excellent ideas I'd never have dreamed up.

For this particular event all the food has got to be cold - no time to heat.

Particularly like the idea of Indian snacks and beef jerky. Two particular personal favourites.

MeatSnacker

Sep 4, 2015
London, United Kingdom
Wow! Thanks for so many suggestions. Some excellent ideas I'd never have dreamed up.

For this particular event all the food has got to be cold - no time to heat.

Particularly like the idea of Indian snacks and beef jerky. Two particular personal favourites.

Look for beef jerky in "snack pack" sizes, like 25g, so you can pass them around your group instead of having a big pack that makes it difficult to share. Some of the beef jerky brands with small snack pack formats are Jack Links and Wild West.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
For long cycle trips or triathlons I use tortillas or similar flatbreads to make bite sized rolls. Take a tortilla, trim the edges to make it square. Spread very thinly with something sticky like cream cheese, then a slice of very thin ham and roll it up. Cut into small pieces that you can eat in one or two bites. It's a nice change from the usual sweet snacks.

I wrap mine in foil lined with baking parchment but that can be difficult to find so ordinary foil works just fine.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
All good suggestions so far.
One of my favourites, travels & keeps well and provides a lot of sustained energy release are falafels. Not as greasy on the hands as things like samosas and as well as a snack they make a great wrap/sarnie filling or in a stew/soup.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Ham Biscuits - American style biscuits that is...

ham-biscuits-sl-1820970-x.jpg

I guess you could use something other than ham if you had to - like bacon.

What do you call these things in the UK?

Last edited:
If you made them on mini bagels... peanut butter and honey and bacon - "butthole sandwiches" would work. Very tasty and they stay fresh for several days. Make you thirsty though. Don't do a Google image search for it - Especially not at work.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ham Biscuits - American style biscuits that is...

ham-biscuits-sl-1820970-x.jpg

I guess you could use something other than ham if you had to - like bacon.

What do you call these things in the UK?

Closest thing would be a scone. And often eaten as a savoury, cheese scones being my favourite. There's a wee cafe in Glen Nevis that does large savoury filled scones instead of rolls and they're braw.
Often also use scones as "cobbles" on top of a stew and think it's maybe where the US got their biscuits and gravy idea from.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Last edited:

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Bag of mixed nuts can be fun, bananas are always a good half hour energy release. The way mars bars are downsizing it is hard to find a normal size one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE