Food poisoning remedy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
well my hotel in sharm el sheikh had the health poeple in the week before we got there as so many poeple were sick and ****ty - they supposedly got the all clear but everyone we talked to had one thing or the other as there semmed to be a few different versions doing the rounds.

I picked up something viral so had D&V for a day (I know it was viral as thats the only time my nuts ache) then it went to D without V and finally a very loose watery movement in the morning as I got rid of last night dinner. others had cramps and continuous D. I did expect to pick something up or at least have heat induced D but I reckon the hotel was sick. the chemist reckoned there was something in the air which could be right as they keep waste water in cisterns all around the hotel and use it for irrigation so its plausible that the water is breeding nasties and spraying it into the air is working like a giant sneeze due to the heat allowing the virus to live longer in the open - thoughts please.

mind you you cant escape it no matter how much cleaning gel you use as its on the money, glasses door handles etc... we were reasonably lucky but others were struck the day before returning with salmonella type syptoms and were unable to fly home.

mugabe's there now so I hope he catches something :)

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Triphala...

indians use it for all sorts of consumed bugs!! not sure if its going to work against major food poioning but it helps against general gut rot!

Maybe worth a try its based on three plants and tastes really quite bad.. Nothing you can find in the uk I guess but its available as powder or capsules its natural so as close as your going to get to your requirements I guess..

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
one thing of interest is that they reckon the issue with some waters is the mineral content playing havoc with gut. I think the first walkabout episode touched on a similar thing with those salty ground springs.

303Brit

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2007
germany
Cold toilet paper or better still wet wipes. As everyone knows your seat can get a little sore with all that wiping.

Very true! not to be underestimated,it can be so painful that every step is agony. I always carry a Nappy/diaper protective cream for raw skin wounds ,has a multitude of uses and can be applied on the nether regions.

Having been hospitlized from Salmonella,can only endorse what Spamel,Pict and the others have said,wether mild or major food poisoning ,dehydration is the main factor and you will most likley have to rely on others untill you can move on,In my case i could only drink sweet peppermint tea for about 3 days which helped relieve the stomach cramps.

A question for the more medically trained or knowledgable out there:
Heard that when food is heavily spiced,or curry powder is used it helps reduce any harmfull bacteria in it. True, or travellers tall tales???

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
ive heard the spice thing, ggarlic is a natural antibiotic as is onion and most curries are packed with them.

went to the docs today so I can give a sample for a compo claim as soon as I came back home so had the squits so a few more uncomfy days ahead

I am now so accurate I can pass through the eye of a needle without touching the sides :eek:

carla

Apr 17, 2008
shropshire
when in indonesia i would get the runs for a month at a time. tho not as bad as the other descriptions in this thread. ive found clay and charcoal excellent. chili hasnt been mentioned.
thats what most people in the tropics use routinely to kill off tummy bug organisms.
but when worse came to worse i had a herbal tincture made up by a friendly naturopath that surpassed everything. carla

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hi All!

Anybody got an viable natural remedy against food poisoning? Heard from a colleague at work that a serious case of food poisoning ruined his 2 week canoe trip, and thought "what would I have done?". I know coal/ashes can be forced down to cure the green apple splatter, but is there any better ways? If you happen to suffer from severe vomitting I imagine eating coal is the last thing you would want to do.

I'm talking natural remedies now, not carrying medications. We're men, aren't we? :D

So, enlighten me with your wisdom!

ps, I didn't really know were to put this one, maybe flora & fauna or food section? Feel free to move it.

Castor oil is one of the oldest natural remedies for food poisoning (according to my folk medicine book) but I doubt you have it growing in Sweden..??
Garlic can be taken too...

Jan 22, 2006
uk
maybe its because i grew up with mud etc in my gob, grubby little feral mite that i was but i seem to have a fairly strong constitution. I've probably had 1 day off genuinely ill in 5 yrs thank god, and that was after eating food i knew was off but gambled i'd be ok. wrong!

I've also eaten roadkill, food i've found in the street, loads of stuff for dares/ beers etc and pretty much always been absolutely fine. so far so good - plus i dont really do that stuff anymore.

my point is though that i take fairly inert food with me when camping, avoid rich food including most meat if i can and stick to porridge mixed with museli etc or sealed peparami type stuff if i'm hankering for some hog....well, i say hog - eyeholes, earholes and a-holes is more like it.

cut down the chances of things going wrong & put up with semi boring food i say. well, it's boring at home but your senses/ taste buds are much sharper and you're generally pretty hungry come meal times it tastes fantastic day after day to me.

dunno if its just brits but stories of bad guts is bloody hillarious - do any of you non uk people find it the same? not funny for the person with a chewed orange hanging out the back of 'em, granted.

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Might be a bit late with this.. but Juniper berries are excellent for calming the stomach and purifying the intestinal tract... andother tree, which i believe grows north of the 30 deg. mark is the aspen. Every part of the Aspen is usable.. and the leaves have the same ingredients as aspirin. The bark can be used for tanning, and also as a intestinal seditive!

Anything to keep water down will speed the process.. so charcoal (activated or otherwise) will help also (mix it with the water).

Dehydration is really the worst feeling!

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
As I sit here with a doggy stomach, I have heard fennal seeds have a calming effect.

I think this is why you should carry the modern world pills for certain things. Like the list given in SAS survival handbook.

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
As I sit here with a doggy stomach, I have heard fennal seeds have a calming effect.

I think this is why you should carry the modern world pills for certain things. Like the list given in SAS survival handbook.

Yes,here we give fennel seeds tea to baby colic treatment.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Anyone know anything about oil of oregano?

"The oil of the oregano plant has received some recent attention as a natural means to combat bacterial and fungal infections. Researchers at the University of Tennessee compared the power of various spices in fighting off common food borne microbes, including E. coli and Listeria. The results were startling: Oil of oregano seemed to completely inhibit the growth of harmful organisms."

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Activated charcoal (see how to make)

Give the person one quarter mug of charcoal powder mixed with about half a mug of water, keep drinking until they have consumed about ten spoons of charcoal. Charcoal will absorb bacteria, viruses and can absorb up to 10 times its own weight of poison. This can also be used for mushroom poisoning, even up to 24 hours after ingestion. If you suspect mushroom/fungi poisoning keep pouring in the charcoal until you get them to A&E.
Charcoal has been used for the following conditions: hangover, kidney failure (to help clean blood), abdominal fevers in children, drug and poison overdoses (with some exceptions) ingested radioactive sub-stances.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Try pure charcoal. It will absorb about 10 times its own weight of poison and toxins.

Activated Charcoal

Activated charcoal is basically pure carbon. Any deciduous wood can be used to make it. Although activated charcoal is readily available at your chemist be careful of your source, do not buy the charcoal sold for burning incense; it may contain saltpetre to aid burning.
Making Your Own: Make sure the wood you use is untreated and not contaminated with paint, varnish, preservative, fuel, hexy or burnt plastic etc, etc.. Untreated natural non-toxic woods be should only be used. Char wood in a fire and cut off the black charred portions with a sharp knife. Pound large pieces with a hammer and then grind to a fine powder. If you are not sure you have properly charred the wood, place the lumps in a tin and seal it. Pierce a small hole in the lid and place the entire thing back in the fire. Wait until smoke stops coming out of the tin. Remove from fire and use. CAUTION do not use a tin which is lined with plastic! Use only woods you can identify, oak, ask, elm, chesnut, sycamore, birch. Avoid exotics, introduced species and yew. You can also wrap in aluminium foil essentially charcoal is the same process as char cloth.

Activated charcoal (see how to make)

Give the person one quarter mug of charcoal powder mixed with about half a mug of water, keep drinking until they have consumed about ten spoons of charcoal. Charcoal will absorb bacteria, viruses and can absorb up to 10 times its own weight of poison. This can also be used for mushroom poisoning, even up to 24 hours after ingestion. If you suspect mushroom/fungi poisoning keep pouring in the charcoal until you get them to A&E.
Charcoal has been used for the following conditions: hangover, kidney failure (to help clean blood), abdominal fevers in children, drug and poison overdoses (with some exceptions) ingested radioactive sub-stances.

Taken from the second edition of Sandsnakes
Traditional Naturopathic Remedies and tips for Bushcraft

Sandsnakes :)

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Try pure charcoal. It will absorb about 10 times its own weight of poison and toxins.

Activated Charcoal

Activated charcoal see how to make postiing below or above... I dont Know! Bad hair day!!

carla

Apr 17, 2008
shropshire
hey thanks edispliff ( umm did i get that right????)
thats really interesting about juniper and aspen
so next time......
also im totally for taking pro biotics/good gut bacteria along when travelling
oregano and garlic are good to kill off lurgies you wouldnt get enough strength of oregano in a tea or by putting in food. use oregano oil.
i thought castor oil is for the opposite problem to diahoreah.
serious gastrointestinal problems need medical attention and all the technology they have to offer.
carla

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE