Food for thought

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Well I have just read some of that stuff from three years ago and it is "informative".

I doubt everyone will follow it though, far to many other factors to be added to the cancer mix to have everyone stop eating any processed meat or other foodstuffs.

Anything in excess can and does cause healh problems, even being healthy these days is unhealthy:rolleyes:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
So some "alternative medical" website declares processed meat bad for you? strange huh! post 11 says it all, who cares, get on and enjoy things, YOU ARE GOING TO DIE, if my body is in perfect working order when that happens then I have failed at life. FACT!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
HHHhhhhmmm this needs to be tried, Corned Beef(US version though(it's actual beef!!)) and horseradish terrine.

corned-beef-su-1017325-l.jpg

recipe

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yep, and one with dodgy science.
Both the two chemicals that the article rants against are naturally occuring....in vegetables :rolleyes:

I look on them like salt; it's tasty, preserving, adds to the enjoyment of my food, but I know it's not good for me in any quantity, so bear it in mind when you indulge.

But that won't ever be a screaming banner headline now, will it ? :rolleyes:

Did you know that they claim potatoes give rats cancer ? they fed rats nothing but spuds for ages and then when they died, they decided it was cancer killed them. The fact that cancer kills a lot of animals, eventually, if the animal lives long enough, didn't impinge on their results :(

M

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Cancer was very rare in humans in the middle and dark ages and even before that, it was pretty rare up until the beginning of the last century in fact, but because of longer living and an assortment of other human interventions with the way we live our lives and what we put into our bodies it has become more prevalent. Sadly Cancer is a man made problem, in fact if you do a google search on "Cancer is a man made problem" there is a lot of information about it being so.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Cancer was very rare in humans in the middle and dark ages and even before that, it was pretty rare up until the beginning of the last century in fact, but because of longer living and an assortment of other human interventions with the way we live our lives and what we put into our bodies it has become more prevalent. Sadly Cancer is a man made problem, in fact if you do a google search on "Cancer is a man made problem" there is a lot of information about it being so.

or it was just as common then as it is now they just didn't know what it was, i find the term 'natural causes' or 'died suddenly' in any historical text to be very open to interpretation

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wingstoo that's mince.
Cancer wasn't called cancer, and even in my childhood it was considered something *not* to be discussed. It was given dozens of other names.
Tbh it covers so many different looking diseases that it is recorded, where it is recorded, under many different diagnosis'.

The bones of the archaeological record are just that, the bones; the flesh and organs where cancer is most prevalent have long rotted to compost. The archaeological record is biased accordingly.

Humans and animals who live long enough usually end up with cancer. That's reality, not a sign of our modern lifestyles.
Yes, there are vectors that greatly increase the likelihood that one may develop cancer, but they're hardly new. Even the Romans knew obesity, and while modern cigarette tobacco might be fulll of carcinogens, the lungs of those who lived in enclosed smokey domeciles of the past were black with tar too.

Fact; life is terminal, enjoy if for as long as you can :D

Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Toddy is right, a few hundred years ago (or less) you were dead long before any cancer got you, you died of the common cold, flu, pneumonia, TB, malnourishment, and all the bugs in bad water et al. Even when I was a lad if your granny got to 70 she had lived a long life and passed her time away knitting and listening to the wireless, now 70 year olds are down the gym, swimming, camping etc. A couple of years ago if you had butter on your toast you would drop dead, now butter is healthy.

Eat what you want in moderation.....be happy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE