Food for camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
If it's only for a short trip, or car camping, go for gold and take hydrated meals. I've used the 'Look what we've found' range of sauces, with some normal rice or pasta boiled up. Though that takes a bit more clean up.

For hiking, the freezer bag cooking works for me. I'm sure there must be lots of freezer bag threads on this forum, but here's my offering:

After a lot of tatting about and a lot of being left eating something resembling wallpaper paste, I managed to perfect freezer bad porridge.

Measure the actual capacity of my water pot (not believing what it was sold as) and measure out the oats by volume. 2parts Standard rolled oats to 1part water, then add powdered milk, sugar, raisins, whatever, into sandwich bag (not the water, obviously, just the dry stuff). Measure the oats first, for the 2:1 ratio, or you won't get the right consistency.
I have made up cosys from that aluminiumised bubble wrap. Make them so that they also seal in the air as much as possibly, or you will lose heat through convection. I have a circular two part one that nests around my mug and another that is a jiffy bag shape, with a fold over and velcro'ed top flap.

Then at camp, get a good rolling boil on the water, prep the dry stuff and bag in the cosy, so that the water can go straight in and be sealed immediatly. A good shake up and leave it for 20-25mins. I may also ball it all up in the sleeping bag. The result is perfect porridge that is still too hot to eat.

So in this case, it seems that the key is in the cosy and keeping the heat in for long enough. Also regular shaking prevents lumps.

Cous-cous works well. And I've had reasonable results with pasta, but only when using the packet ones with the sauce powder in there too. As the pasta is very thin so will hydrate properly. Good agitation required, or you get all the sauce stuck in the corner as a jelly mess.

Tried so many times with rice with no success. (The US guys have a quick cook rice, which appears to be cooked and freeze dried. The same stuff they use in the instant pot meal things. The quick cook stuff here is different, a par-boiled offering?)
I have heard people using the microwaveable rice, heated in a pot with a dash of water. Brought a packet last week to try that. Though that stuff is heavy.

BTW, Tesco food bags that have white printing on the side. The paint melts with the hot water and glues the bag to the cosy. So I double bag the food and put the two printed faces together.

Jules

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I use "Pour and Store" bags from the supermarket. They stand up on a built in gusset which helps avoid spills. I put couscous, instant mash or noodles in bag, add boiling water from billy and squidge around until mixed then add dried sausage, tuna, jerky etc. Although I'm a bit of a gourmet at home, I'll eat almost any thing when travelling if hungry enough! SWMBO has refused my camp cooking on rare occasions though- can't imagine why.

The bags can be washed and reused but are also easy to pack out and dispose of. I seldom cook in my billy to avoid cleaning problems. It gets used just to boil water if possible.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"at camp, get a good rolling boil on the water, prep the dry stuff and bag in the cosy, so that the water can go straight in and be sealed immediately. A good shake up and leave it for 20-25mins. I may also ball it all up in the sleeping bag. The result is perfect porridge that is still too hot to eat... it seems that the key is in the cosy and keeping the heat in for long enough. Also regular shaking prevents lumps."
Nice tip - will try, for longer, with real oatmeal.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
SWMBO has returned from foraging in the shelves of Aldi and tells me that they are now stocking a limited range of the 'Ilumi' ready meals. Similar to the LWWF pouches but milk & gluten free and there's a total of twenty-six different ones to choose from.

Coq au Vin, Beef in Black Bean Sauce, Vegetable & Chickpea Jalfrezi, Pork, Mushrooms & Madeira Casserole...

ilumiworld.com/shop/meals.html

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
SWMBO has returned from foraging in the shelves of Aldi and tells me that they are now stocking a limited range of the 'Ilumi' ready meals. Similar to the LWWF pouches but milk & gluten free and there's a total of twenty-six different ones to choose from.

Coq au Vin, Beef in Black Bean Sauce, Vegetable & Chickpea Jalfrezi, Pork, Mushrooms & Madeira Casserole...

ilumiworld.com/shop/meals.html

I tried the Beef in Black Bean tonight.

Very nice, a 12 month shelf life on this one without refrigeration. Looking at reviews for others sounds promising, I will definitely be trying more.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE